Torsion bar removal

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
Is there any way to remove torsion bar with out the special little tool. I am heading out to salvage yard tommorrow and if I find a good V8 K-member with disc's I am going to try to get it out as a unit without cutting the bars so I can use them as well to replace my little /6 bars. Any help would be appreciated.

The only other way I know off is to rap the bar with a cloth then clamp on a set of vise grips and hit the handle of the vise grips with a hammer. Don't hit your hand with the hammer as I have found it to hurt a lot. LOL

So just knock them out one end to release the tension and slide them out.

First back out the ajusters all the way in the LCA. Then take the clip off the back side of the mount in the trany cross member. Then you hook up the vise grips and beat them out the back of the car. they need to go through the trany cross member away from the LCA.

You can use the LCA to beat on. Remove LCA nut from K-member, and radius rod nut. Smack LCA to the rear with big, rubber faced hammer. Torsion bar comes out with it.

Burntorange70, I too have found that hitting your hand with a hammer will hurt a lot. Good sound adVISE...vise grips that is. I've done it that way a few times and you need just a little prayer to the Mopar Gods before starting to loosen up the LCA end...oh, and mention the hammer thing too!!! Good luck, this can be a pain in the youknowhat in the junkyard unless you can get the car up high enough to get under there. Or better yet, have them bring it up with the machine, they do have one right??? Maybe mention that in the prayer also. Geof

Instead of trying to remove the torsion bars to get the K-Member out, think about it in reverse. Ie, remove the K-Member and the torsion bars are all ready to slide out.

If you're removing the K-Member, it's easy as pie. Back off all tension on the torsion bars via the adjusting bolts. Unbolt the upper control arms from their mounts. Remove the large K-Member retaining bolts so that everything is loose and ready to slide out the front. Take a good sized hammer and alternately tap the K-Member itself from one side to the other until the K-Member actually slides forward and off the front of the torsion bars. Then you simply remove the spring clips at the rear torsion bar mounts and give them a little tap to drive them out to the rear from the rear torsion bar mount. :)

Ok that sounds easy enough. I will just make sure I have all of the right tools.

i just backed the adjusters off disconected the a-arms and shocks then un bolted the k-frame and droped it, they just slid out then.

Does anybody have good pic of what the torsion bar clips should look like. I see a little groove on the rear side of my current bars but it looks like someone already removed them, but then again I could be looking I the wrong place.

They are just little round, thin, chromed wire clips with little protrusions on each end so you can compress them enough to remove them from the groves. Sometimes you have to look close to find them. If you try pushing the T-bars out, and they hang, the clips are still there. :)

I'll save the beers for when I get back home. If I get caught driving Uncle Sam gets pissed.

I usually remove the K frame bolts, shocks, steering column joint and break upper control arms loose from the frame. Then beat the k frame forward. The T bars will pull out of the control arms. Good idea to remove the tension from the t bars before you get crazy with a sledge knocking the K forward.

Whatever you do, don't mar the surface of the t bars trying to remove them.

-
Back