Torsion bar removal

-

She Devil

Work in Progress
Reaction score
I have been trying to remove my passenger side torsion bar. Rust has been a big problem on the whole suspension system and I had to resort to cutting the torsion bar to remove the lower control arm. Now that the LCA is out, I have still had problems trying to remove the rear section of the torsion bar from the car. I have cut most of the bar off so there is only about an inch of bar sticking out from the frame and have been going at it with an air hammer for about an hour. Needless to say, it hasn't budged!! Also, I pb blasted it on a regular basis for the last few weeks while I've been fighting the rest of the suspension. I am getting ready to try heating it up but, while I look for someone with a torch they can lend me, I wanted to verify that I should be trying to push it towards the rear of the car to remove it. Also, any suggestions, short of taking a shot gun to the car, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

This may sound dumb but did you remove the retaining clip?

You can take it out either way, forwards or towards the rear of the car.

try beating it from one side then go to the other and vice versa. sometimes this helps free it up. if you get any movement pb it. dont you just hate rust?:toothy10:

I just finished doing my front end and SirDan's suggestion about hitting it from both ends is exactly what I did finally it came.

I'm removing mine tomorrow to try and get the driver header in. Anything else I need to know before removing the torsion bar?

hello, you probably already know this, but the steering linkage goes through the header, (if you have a smallblock and hedmans, like me) so be prepared to undo some tie rod ends...

Heat the t bar up until cherry red.Quench it with a cold damp rag.Them give it a whack with a 4lb or bogger hammer.It's coming out..

Could also "press" it out... use a big C-clamp, that plus hitting it might free it up...

I have a 440 and I'm trying to put B body headman's on it. I got the passenger side on, but I knew the driver was going to be worse.

ok oh. i hope you get it together and everything goes smoothly. i thought my headmans with a sb was a *****! i had to do all sorts of crazy stuff to get mine back in!

Zap it with a bit of Kroil and let it sit for an hour or so. Then a stout metal drift pin and a BFH. Apply Kroil and BFH liberally. Good luck.

finally got it out. BFH and a punch made it move. The header still doens't want to got in, but I'll find a way.

-
Back