torsion bar ride height

-

purplescamper

Reaction score
i am building a 1973 plymouth scamp, i already have hd rear springs ( so the big tires dont rub ) i will be installing a 360 in the near future....i also picked up a set of 383 torsion bars will this effect my ride height ? also i was thinking about getting a set of 2 inch drop spindles, is there any thought on this ? thanks

..i also picked up a set of 383 torsion bars will this effect my ride height ? also i was thinking about getting a set of 2 inch drop spindles, is there any thought on this ? thanks

???? When you install torsion bars you have to release and then retighten the adjusters. So it is pretty much a must to set ride height anytime you remove a t-bar and setting ride height does affect ride height.

I would see what kind of stance you can get with factory parts and a proper alignment before installing any kind of aftermarket suspension drop component.

Factory ride height is 2 1/2" + or - an 1/8th difference between the two points on the left.

heightmeasure1_zpscf5ba2d8.png

I can tell you from personal experince with my car. My car is a original /6 converter to a 340. It was too springy with the /6 bars. Also I like a lower ride hieght. My car was not equipped with a sway bar either. I could not achieve the ride height I was looking for because if I went to low my tire would rub on the fender lips during turns because the car would lean so bad from the /6 bars and no sway bar. So a few years back I installed some hemi bars. Ride was better and I was able to lower the height more since it wouldn't lean so bad on turns. I had to turn the adjusters out about 1/2" from where they were with the /6 bars to even get the same ride height. I just got done installing a front sway bar recently and while I had it up I turn the adjuster out one full turn to see if I could get it any lower before it rubs. Car is still up in the air waiting on a few more parts. So I havent been able to test the height yet. My adjusters are backed out a good bit, but still have some adjustment. One thing Ive learned over the years is once you adjust the height you need to roll the car a good bit before it settles to the new height you can't just lower it to the ground to see what changes you made. I will post picture of my swaybar install. I not sure how well you will be able to see how far my adjuster are currently backed out with the hemi bars.

52984263613956306604213.jpg

-
Back