Torsion Bar Upgrade for '65 Barracuda Formula S

-

Bob Jasinski

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading the stock .87" torsion bars in my '65 FS to a bit thicker bar, possibly the .89" if I can find some. This is a restoration, it has the original 273 4bbl, but I am including some upgrades. These include KH disc brakes, 15" radial tires with rallye wheels, and Moog offset upper control arm bushings for more caster. I'm thinking of going with the next size up, .89" if I can find them. Does this make sense or should I just stick with the factory bars? I'm not going to be racing this car, I just want good handling. I know the .89" bars are for 383 applications so I assume the thicker bars compensate for the heavier engine, but would there be advantages with the stock 273 as well, or is it overkill?

On my 65 Dart wagon with a 66 273/235 and 42RH transmission, i am going with PST 1.03 torsion bars with numerous upgrades: 73-76 disc brakes, with LBJ upper control arms, offset UCA bushings, Helwig 1.25 sway bar, and good adjustable shocks. I am following the formula posted by others for a good handling car

Last edited:
the bigger bars would be a great addition. these cars were undersprung from the factory so upping the spring rate is an excellent idea.

keep in mind that if you go above .920 you'll need good (read: expensive) shocks to control them.

unfortunately, nobody makes/repops .890's or really anything smaller than 1.03 these days. so you'll be looking for used or some NOS ones kicking around on a dusty shelf. firm feel makes custom sizes if you're will to drop that kind of coin.

I'd go 1.03" and never look back. With radial tires you still wouldn't be oversprung. A 1.03" torsion bar on an A-body works out to about a 215 lb/in wheel rate. Which is in the ballpark for most modern econo-boxes, and lower than most performance oriented cars.

A good set of shocks would be great addition, but as long as you don't use KYB's you'd probably be fine. I ran 1" bars on my Duster with those regular old replacement blue monroe's and it was still quite a soft ride.

I'd go 1.03" and never look back. With radial tires you still wouldn't be oversprung. A 1.03" torsion bar on an A-body works out to about a 215 lb/in wheel rate. Which is in the ballpark for most modern econo-boxes, and lower than most performance oriented cars.

A good set of shocks would be great addition, but as long as you don't use KYB's you'd probably be fine. I ran 1" bars on my Duster with those regular old replacement blue monroe's and it was still quite a soft ride.
That's about the smallest available new that I know of.

I put in .890s as an upgrade to the .870s in my 67. This incremental change is probably only worth doing if you already have the front end apart for a refresh. However, it is a good upgrade that helps control dive and does not result in an overly stiff ride.

It is really the sway bar that contributes to cornering performance — you don't need super-stiff springs for handling. On real-world curvy roads, which are generally secondary roads in rural areas that are not always well-maintained, extremely stiff springs will rattle your teeth out and reduce the amount of contact patch as the tires leave the road surface.

I just finished (well, almost finished — DNF'ed with a blown head gasket) a 850-mile vintage car tour on secondary and tertiary roads in Northern California. I have done this rally in one or the other of my Barracudas several times (not this occasion). The slant six convertible with the softest factory springs plus sway bar was just as capable as my tweaked Commando fastback for this kind of activity, although I wouldn't take it to track day at Willow Springs. Meanwhile, the replica Ford GT40 was crawling in low gear half the time (although as soon as the road surface smoothed out he was out of sight).

I did just install Bilstein shocks on the fastback and that seems to be an improvement over the KYBs, but I haven't had it on a rally yet.

I did get a set of 894-895 through Brads nos last month it was under p5249150 don t know if they had more than 1 set

I put in .890s a

I just finished (well, almost finished — DNF'ed with a blown head gasket) a 850-mile vintage car tour on secondary and tertiary roads in Northern California. I have done this rally in one or the other of my Barracudas several times (not this occasion). The slant six convertible with the softest factory springs plus sway bar was just as capable as my tweaked Commando fastback for this kind of activity, although I wouldn't take it to track day at Willow Springs. Meanwhile, the replica Ford GT40 was crawling in low gear half the time (although as soon as the road surface smoothed out he was out of sight).

I did just install Bilstein shocks on the fastback and that seems to be an improvement over the KYBs, but I haven't had it on a rally yet.
name of the rally?

(asking for a friend)

-
Back