Torsion Bar won’t fit

-

chivic55

Reaction score
BA22D44B-4E28-4FEE-8941-54B660C1BEEA.jpeg

What would cause this? The driver side TB goes in about a 1/4 of an inch farther than the passenger side. I can’t get the snap ring on the passenger side in at all. They both came out easily. I measured the control arm socket to make sure it went in all the way. It acts like the K frame is not far enough forward on the passenger side. Any thoughts?

1FE781F4-7492-480A-94E4-2C57F7C303EE.jpeg

make sure that the socket in the control arm isn't full of grease and junk that's prohibiting it from bottoming all the way in.

sometimes a little persuasion with a BFH is needed...

I thought that also so I took it back out and there wasn’t anything in there. I think I’m going to measure the distance between the control arm and the face of the hole it comes through in the frame.

did you rebuild your lower control arms and the pins/bushings aren't seated all the way back in?

check for any burrs on the lands of the arm socket and the bar itself. and make sure they're in the correct sides/right way around, etc.

I did rebuild the control arms and they look good. However I just measured and the passenger side is 28 and 1/2 and the driver side is 28 and 3/4. That’s the 1/4” I need. I guess that means my K frame isn’t square. You would still think it would go back in since it came out of there!!

Looks like the hex is all buggered up. Someone has been hitting it with a hammer.

Had a similar issue after I changed torsion bar cross member during floor replacement. One sat in hole like 1/4 inch deep and one not far enough in to get snap ring in. Measured everything for countless hours, and then more hours on top of that, and that all seemed to check out. I ended up removing torsion bar and using a dremel cut off wheel I cut snap ring groove a hair further out. Reassembled and snap ring fits in easily and plenty of metal to hold it in. But I would not make that cut without extensive checking measuring double triple checking last resort.

Cars are like woman some times just can't figure them out.

PXL_20240319_020616476.jpg

Last edited:
Is it possible to have the wrong strut bars or they might be swapped side to side?

I checked the control arm bolt and it’s in to the hilt. And I’m pretty sure R goes on the passenger side and L on the driver side. Like I said before, there’s a 1/4 inch difference between the right and left side. That would be more than enough to get the snap ring in. I’m not sure what I’m going to do at this point.

I checked the control arm bolt and it’s in to the hilt. And I’m pretty sure R goes on the passenger side and L on the driver side. Like I said before, there’s a 1/4 inch difference between the right and left side. That would be more than enough to get the snap ring in. I’m not sure what I’m going to do at this point.
I know I was in same boat one had 1/4 inch gap and other one could not get ring in groove...

I would be willing to bet the control arm is not assembled correctly.. Poly is problems, IMO, might not be seated correctly...other then that..... Is ALL the pressure off the lower arm? Upper will need bump stop removed to get full movement...
:BangHead:

I went ahead and put all my suspension back in.

Might want to dress up the hex and check for burrs. Take some Emory and lightly clean the inner surfaces. Do the same on the bar hex. Throughly wipe out the inside of the hex. Use a good high pressure grease and attempt to install. Usea dead blow to tap it in.

Might want to dress up the hex and check for burrs. Take some Emory and lightly clean the inner surfaces. Do the same on the bar hex. Throughly wipe out the inside of the hex. Use a good high pressure grease and attempt to install. Usea dead blow to tap it in.
Probably not but if early a bodies have that thick washer under the nut of the pivot pin u didnt accidentally leave it on the shoulder and not under the nut? Maybe?

No, I checked that. I’m going to leave it out for now and drive it around and then try again. Maybe something will move. Like 65terrorcuda said, he didn’t have one for 27 years!

after thinking about it i believe there is a taper above the shoulder so it couldnt happen anyway. Its been a while so nevermind

-
Back