Torsion bars rolled off work bench... :(

-
Have you ever seen a torsion bar tool? Where guys clamp them into the bar and whack them with hammers? They gouge the snot out of the bar when done wrong. Never seen them break. I think you are fine. I don't think a small scratch is going to cause that much of a stress riser.

As long as the nicks aren't too deep or have sharp edges, grind the edges of the gouge down to smooth it out some and they should be ok.

A sharp gouge or cut may propagate, but a radiused gouge will be ok...

Use a round or rat-tailed file....get ALL of any sharp edge or nick out. Smooth it into a symmetrically round area to make a smooth transition into the slightly higher stressed (thinner) area. For what little this is worth..... a quick estimate shows the shear stress at the surface going up about 10-12% with a .020" deep depression that runs all around the T-bar circumference. It'll be a lesser increase if in a small area.

I personally would road or rally race on it if not too deep and well smoothed; there are a lot of highly stressed parts in the system.

Cut the hex off one end with a grinder and use it for a pry bar in the shop, order a replacement and enjoy the new pry bar for years to come.

Have you ever seen a torsion bar tool? Where guys clamp them into the bar and whack them with hammers? They gouge the snot out of the bar when done wrong. Never seen them break. I think you are fine. I don't think a small scratch is going to cause that much of a stress riser.

Yeah. No kiddin.

This is almost as bad as those students traumatized by the Trump writing in chalk.

Yes i did actually. I hit it with a metal file... there is still a little depression, but it is smoothed out.

I decided that taking it down most of the way would be better than taking too much metal off.

Thanks all!

NtlXfBWBQEeEjS4zkcAoh8zuI3stYks3ChHtTYIo88OeiKDh5ueGjJVXtWtWK82qjGv1yw=w2160-h3840-rw-no

-
Back