Torsion bars

-

EARLYHEMIBILL

Reaction score
I have a 67 Valian in which I'm putting a 57 Desoto hemi. I took out the slant six torsion bars and got some hemi units. My question is that I didn't realise that there is a left and right. The bars are stamped L and R. Which sides do they pertain to? Bill:-?

I asked that question and was told when sitting in the drivers seat ,drivers side is left. I'm sure one of the gurus will chime in and confirm

Moe

When you sit in the driver seat, the left side of the car is the driver's left side.

Correct. But just to be safe, check the part numbers on the bars. Mopar PN's are almost always for left or right depending on whether they end in an odd or even number. I forgot which but you can find it real quick in a FABO search, and I know it applies to the torsion bars. However, don't use that rule for manufacturer PN's like Moog ball joints. I have even found numbers stamped on brake backing plates and such that violate the rule (maybe not Mopar's), or maybe I reversed mine. By the way, you can install the torsion bars either end forward, but better to put the critical numbers at the rear where they can be read when installed.

-
Back