Torsion Bars?

-
Never mind the numbers.Get a micrometer, clean the paint off and measure them.
maybe i missed it...what size engine is sitting in that front end.

It has a 340, I know crappy engine but that's what the car had in it :BangHead::rofl:

From my experience 340 bars with a small block are adequate for normal driving. .890 (383 bars) are not really any stiffer, at least i couldn't tell them from 340 bars.
920's are a noticeable improvement but not harsh at all unless you are on a terribly rough roads.
For me, a warm 340 is about as good as it gets in a light A body on the street for all around performance.

Torsion bars were dipped in paint horizontally. That is why the paint drips are the way that they are.
Be warned that the KYB shocks are cheap for a reason. They deliver a harsh ride but as the suspension travels more, they soften towards the end of their travel: Exactly the opposite of a quality shock that is initially soft but firms up as the suspension travels further.

Torsion bars were dipped in paint horizontally. That is why the paint drips are the way that they are.
Be warned that the KYB shocks are cheap for a reason. They deliver a harsh ride but as the suspension travels more, they soften towards the end of their travel: Exactly the opposite of a quality shock that is initially soft but firms up as the suspension travels further.

Awesome makes sense with the paint dripping.

Thanks for the info on the KYBs. I actually took a set off the car and replaced them with the same shocks. I thought about the bilstein shocks but with multiple threads read (all agree bilstein shocks are better) most people with KYB shocks were happy. Then factor in I paid 120 for 4 shocks vs 480 my pocket book is happy as well as my rear end that my wife would have tuned up if I spent 500 for shocks. The car also isnt a daily driver, I drive it 3x a week not usually to far, so I figured the KYB would suffice and maybe one day I'll upgrade them. Right now the car is getting needed work (with a little want sprinkled in) done before jumping off the deep end to tuning it up.

I'll probably grab bigger torsion bars when I upgrade the springs. Heres a pic of my new calipers and rotors that came in today! Daughter loves the gold so yes both calipers will be gold.

20200121_181235.jpg

What torsion bars did you decide on? I am debating size as well and would love input. 5.7 hemi with complete Qa1 front end and qa1 non adjustable shocks.

I actually didn't get any. I installed my 340 torsion bars and called it a day. Next year I'm going with the PST bars and new SS leaf springs most likely. My car keeps getting taken apart for other ventures lol.

i agree with blue and gmachine.. don't waste your time with those factory bars.. go 1" minium and you won't regret it.. makes a huge improvement.

At what point does it start getting too harsh? Assuming decent shocks

depends on your roads.

Depends even more on your personal preference for ride quality.

I run 1.12" torsion bars with Hotchkis Fox shocks and don't think that's "harsh" at all. It's not all that different from a modern car, the ride is very similar to my wife's 2013 Mustang with the "premium" factory suspension when it was in sport mode. But it's nothing like a classic muscle car. So it really depends on what you're comparing it to and what your expectations are.

-
Back