Total "bill of material" for Aluminum head swap / Advice on where to save $ welcome...

-
Late to the party here. Going back a few posts, Trick Flow specifies Harland Sharp rockers on a magnum block because they are a LA shaft arrangement. You need to get oil into the shaft/rocker interface.

Mike at B3 racing engines hooked me up with PRW roller rockers and his correction kit. I am running a comp solid lifter cam with close to 600 lift. The PRW are push rod oiling. I have the trickflow heads on a 2000 magnum 5.9.

Magnum/AMC oil through pushrod arrangement only gets pressurized oil to the top of the push rod, then splashes the pivot point. Those particular specified Harland Sharps are made with a passage to get oil to the shaft.
If you have an early Magnum, with the oil holes drilled from cam bearings 2 & 4, you can use (almost)any LA style rocker. Factory style iron 273 adjustable rockers apparently don't work because the TF stands were relocated to correct geometry for use of roller rockers. My understanding (could be wrong) is that Mike @ B3 had a hand in this. Now the question is; which rockers offer the best OOTB geometry?
In later Magnums, in order to get around the oiling issue, some people are oiling the shaft with an external connection off of the oil pressure sender port to each head. I was going to go this route when I get there, but found oil holes in my Magnum block when I opened it up.
I planned on going to Johnny Mac for a Blueprint engine because of the OUTSTANDING support he has shown to provide to guys here that have bought from him. My problem is that I really want to do an engine myself at least once. I like the feeling of accomplishment, & I like being able to do things that most people I know couldn't fathom. If I ever do this again, I will probably pick up the phone & call Johnny. That or if I f**k up an expensive pile of parts on the 1st go 'round.

-
Back