towing

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
don't knoow where to post this......will be towing my wifes truck behind me to az from wa. need to make a side trip into california to drop off some parts. any thing beyond the 55 mph speed limit i need to know?? i remember some one telling me that i need to stay in the 2 right lanes or something strange.....last trip thru there i got stopped for an illegal use of lanes, or something like that.......:read2:

I'm assuming that your tow vehicle is up to the job and that you will have all of your roadtrip/tow supplies with you. Since your max legal speed will be 65mph (actually when towing, I think it is 55mph all the way), stay in the slow lane except to safely pass. The only other thing that a CHP truck may check out briefly as they drive by you is to see if you are hooked up correctly (ie. saftey chains, etc,).

BTW: Are you trailering are on you using a towbar? Where are you stopping in CA?

I'm assuming that your tow vehicle is up to the job and that you will have all of your roadtrip/tow supplies with you. Since your max legal speed will be 65mph (actually when towing, I think it is 55mph all the way), stay in the slow lane except to safely pass. The only other thing that a CHP truck may check out briefly as they drive by you is to see if you are hooked up correctly (ie. saftey chains, etc,).

BTW: Are you trailering are on you using a towbar? Where are you stopping in CA?
trucks up to it, it is a cheby duramax, and all supplies will be along. safety chained to the truck, wifes exploder tied down with 4 chains and binders...i will be stopping in oceanside to bring jeff the marines transmission and crossmember to him...i have made the trip from wa-az many times, i normally cruise along at 75-80 or so, just am not real fond of california. towed a friends biscayne to san diego and that is when we got stopped. we were climbing a steep hill passing a convoy of semis and got stopped. luckily the hill was steep enough that between the car and the stuff in the bed we were not speeding....:-D

55mph, 4 tie downs (one per corner) not including the winch cable (if you have one) Safety chain on the trailer hitch......

Proper battery for safety breakaway and lanyard should be visible.
IF you get stopped by DOT, no matter what the officer(s) says, any item in the truck bed or wherever, even if you are hauling it for someone, is YOURS.
ANYTHING IN YOUR TRUCK, ON YOUR TRAILER OR IN THE VEHICLE ON THE TRAILER IS YOUR STUFF, YOU ARE NOT MOVING ANYTHING FOR ANYONE, NOT EVEN RELATIVES FOR FUEL MONEY.
IT'S ALL YOURS!!!

I got stopped in CA for the towing speed violation.
It is not a pleasant thing and the fine is very excessive, over $350, after looking at it, he had me wrote up as non-commercial which saved me a good amount more.

All that being said, I think California is my favorite state to haul in, other than speeding, the cops leave you pretty much alone.
The scale operators pretty much just looked at me funny when I'd pull through with the 2 car, even more so if it was empty.
They don't care for pick-ups in the scales, with or without trailers, but I do it to be safe.

I spent 3 weeks out there in January-February doing Interstate/Intrastate hauling through a dispatch site on-line. I'd get 2 in the LA/SANBERN area, move them up to the bay area or Sacramento area, grab 2 more, haul back to the LA area again and do it all over.
I'd do it all again if I had a rig that wasn't all wore out and didn't nickel-dime me to death.:(

Mark.

-
Back