Toyota (again).

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
Toyota (again).

I must say….. I love my 93 4Runner, it's a solid and reliable rig.

But...

The news coming out about cost savings and negotiated delays in the recall effort are ugly and disturbing.

I would not buy a new toyota today.

I don't know what I would buy if i was looking for a new car……

So what makes them any different than any other car maker? They're trying to make it right for their customers, which is farm more than many companies, automaker or otherwise will do.

What I object to is the Federal Government, specifically Ray LaHood, declaring these cars "unsafe" BEFORE they begin a taxpayer funded investigation. Anybody think about the precedent we may set here?

As I mentioned before the company I worked for also made throttle by wire pedals or electronic throttle controls (ETC's). I worked there as a Quality Manager before everything went to Mexico. Toyota passed on our ETC's because they cost more and our plant closed because ETC's could be made cheaper in Mexico......bet it would have been cheaper to buy our ETC's made in Michigan now!

So what makes them any different than any other car maker? They're trying to make it right for their customers, which is farm more than many companies, automaker or otherwise will do.

What I object to is the Federal Government, specifically Ray LaHood, declaring these cars "unsafe" BEFORE they begin a taxpayer funded investigation. Anybody think about the precedent we may set here?

You are missing the point. If toyota hadn't got caught with there pants down, do you really think they would have taken care of the customers on their own? No way! The feds is what brought this to light.
It only took the death of a family with a 911 call to get their attention.Pure bullcrap for saying "they're trying to make it right for their customers".
THEY HAVE NO CHOICE! We have been shown how they handle the customer when they do have a choice.

You are missing the point. If toyota hadn't got caught with there pants down, do you really think they would have taken care of the customers on their own? No way! The feds is what brought this to light.
It only took the death of a family with a 911 call to get their attention.Pure bullcrap for saying "they're trying to make it right for their customers".
THEY HAVE NO CHOICE! We have been shown how they handle the customer when they do have a choice.

All the above. And say, yet again, that the corporation has a history of cover ups with design flaws and passing the buck to the customer. How's that customer service?

Dude keep up or take notes!You don.t think they should label these cars UNSAFE? Really?39 people have died.

Yeah and some dumba$$ ***** testified before congress yesterday playing the phone call she made while her car was supposedly accelerating out of control. She wanted to hear her husbands voice one more time...

Think about this!!! How about putting the transmission in "N" or turning the ignition switch 1 click towards you? No, we'll get out the phone. Preventable accident?

Everybody whines about how "Big Government" is taking over, but is just as quick to scream that the government isn't doing enough to monkey in the affairs of the private market. If this case had any merit, I'm sure there would be plenty of class action suits pending. Remember the Pinto?

As for 39 people dying, (supposedly as a result of an alleged defect) how many deaths per mile driven? Is this even statistically significant? The recalled Toyotas have a far better safety record than any car made when out A-bodies were new. Would you crush your Mopar because somebody in DC told you it was unsafe? Would you scream oppression if the feds told you to?

Yeah and some dumba$$ ***** testified before congress yesterday playing the phone call she made while her car was supposedly accelerating out of control. She wanted to hear her husbands voice one more time...

Think about this!!! How about putting the transmission in "N" or turning the ignition switch 1 click towards you? No, we'll get out the phone.

Everybody whines about how "Big Government" is taking over, but is just as quick to scream that the government isn't doing enough to monkey in the affairs of the private market. If this case had any merit, I'm sure there would be plenty of class action suits pending. Remember the Pinto?

So tell me, all of a sudden your vehicle runs off at full throttle and you can't stop it. What are you going to do? Most people I'll bet will panic and stomp the brakes until theres no pad left. It's human nature to do the one thing that they figure is their best option.

If toyota cared this wouldn't have been around since the beginning of the new millennium, Toyota has been ducking the deaths and problems for years now and should be publically tarred and feathered.

No if my car "took off" accelerating at full speed I would turn the f**king key off. I'm smarter than cars.

No if my car "took off" accelerating at full speed I would turn the f**king key off. I'm smarter than cars.
Generally when you turn the key off it locks the steering columb, 99.99999% of women drivers wouldnt think or know to turn the key off anyway and all can drive quite fine while on the phone. This thing has been swept under the floor mats since way back in 2003, it just takes a high body count to get the ball rolling. Looks like now its gonna be the electronics and Im sure Toyota dont wanna change out electronics on 8.5 million cars, whats a few deaths (and counting) huh?

Toyota has built their stellar reputation by making cars that were dependable and affordable. Safe? Leave that to the Swedes, but they did meet and surpass government standards. It seems that people have forgotten that Toyota is still made up of "people" building cars and mistakes will be made. Ironically if it wasn`t for companies like Toyota, American car makers would still be producing the turds they did in the late 70`s and 80`s. For that we all owe companies like Honda and Toyota a debt of gratitude. Does anybody remember the Ford Explorer/Firestone tire recall that killed all those people? Recalls happen to all car manufacturers and will continue to happen. We`ve owned three Toyota Corollas and have put about 1/2 million miles on them with nothing more than regular maintenance. They still make a very good car that ranks among the best in quality at pricepoint. With all of the things that can occur with our vintage cars I`m surprised that there aren`t more people here that have had a throttle return spring break or a throttle cable/ butterfly hang up? I have and although it initially scared the #$%^ out of me, I reached up and turned the ignition off.

Toylete S.U.C.K....i'd would NEVER own a foreign piece of crap,i'd walk before ever owning one,then again i don't need to my Ford truck has been very good to me since bought in '02 and has never failed me,and it doesn't have unwanted accelleration and the brakes DO work.. oh and the driveshaft is'nt falling out:-D:-D

So in other words your driving something of the 70 and earlier vintage with the steering columns that didn't lock in place so you can still steer. I realize many new vehicles now are not available with the locking column but iirc they didn't stop the locking column until a few years back. So you shut off your car in a panic lock the wheel and are screwed if your not going straight down your lane.

I can't see myself ever buying any car new.

Toylete S.U.C.K....i'd would NEVER own a foreign piece of crap,i'd walk before ever owning one,then again i don't need to my Ford truck has been very good to me since bought in '02 and has never failed me,and it doesn't have unwanted accelleration and the brakes DO work.. oh and the driveshaft is'nt falling out:-D:-D

Yes yes....

We have seen you puke this garbage in every Toyota thread. Glad to hear you still hate Toyota, I was getting worried.

Glad you like your Ford. My 4Runner has been flawless for 17 years.

But that isn't really what this thread is about.

This thread is about the corporate greed and underhandedness. It is about values.
It is about death vs. a dollar.

Think about this!!! How about putting the transmission in "N" or turning the ignition switch 1 click towards you? No, we'll get out the phone. Preventable accident?

As for 39 people dying, (supposedly as a result of an alleged defect) how many deaths per mile driven? Is this even statistically significant? The recalled Toyotas have a far better safety record than any car made when out A-bodies were new. Would you crush your Mopar because somebody in DC told you it was unsafe? Would you scream oppression if the feds told you to?

And you're calling other's dumbasses? Know what it takes to shut off a car with a push button ignition, like her Lexus probably was? Worked on a new millenium car where the PCM will keep accidental engagement of neutral or reverse (and she testified) from happening?

You're speaking like an armchair quarterback. Easy for you to sit behind a keyboard saying do this or do that, not so easy to do when you're in the exact same situation.

And you're telling others to do his research. Seems you missed the fact that Toyota has already faced a class action suit when engines were blowing up and Toyota was charging the customers for new engines when it was a design flaw with the oil passages. The engineers discovered this design flaw, but the corporate brass decided to cover up what the engineers were saying and kept on with the idea of blaming the customers (there's customer service again). The internal memos were exposed during the suit, showing the corporate brass knew about it, hid it, and decided to make money off of it by selling new engines. Money, not customer service, is the name of the game.

As a result of the prior lawsuit, Toyota has set themselves up for this investigation, by showing they have a history of cover ups within the company. This time around they blamed the floormat. Didn't work, people still had accidents. Blaming the floormats, again, was a cost saving issue. And what's being exposed right now, shows they knew it was. Right now Congress is grandstanding, I'll agree with you. The NTSB should be leading an investigation, not Congress.

Since money is involved why isn't anyone, all those here, who have stated that his or her customer service at the dealership has been so great taken a look at the prior class action suit? Charging a customer thousands of dollars to replace an engine when it was in fact, the engine itself that was bad, and then telling the customer it was his or fault, that's not exactly what I would call good customer service. That's predatory. That's building something purposefully bad and then seeking to continue to make money instead of correcting a mistake. It's the predatory nature which has the investigation going.

probably one made in Canada

Still killing Americans!
Remember Pearl Harbor, Wake Island, Bataan, and Toyota.
We need another Nagasaki and Hiroshima.
Yeah, I know. Not politically correct, but true.

i seen a clip were they were fliming a test and the push button on and off switch would not work and they kelp pushing it / another clip were the car was going left and right and the wheel was straight ahead.but to say there fix may not work would make me worrey a little/ but i don,t own a toyota anyway/

I guess you forgot about Fords sudden acceleration problem.

Court Cases

JONES v FORD MOTOR COMPANY

JARVIS v FORD MOTOR COMPANY

-
Back