TQ opinions/question

-

MassDart

Lifelong Dart fan
Reaction score
Here's my issue. I've built a 360 Magnum like the mild magnum build here on this site. I'll be starting the install of it in the next few weeks.

My car is a 67 Dart with its original 904 with 18 spline and its original 273. Performance torque converters for this are either non existent or insanely expensive. I have an 8 3/4 that I'll also be putting in. I was planning on using 3.55 gears in the rear and a Transgo in the transmission with the stock converter. Would 3.73's work better with the stock converter?

The car won't be used for the strip, just kind of a hot street deal. Will my combination work okay until I get another Trans that has the later spine so I can get a higher stall converter later on?

Thanks,

Doug

Need more information about mild build?
Need info on cam spec's & compression to give you a better answer.

I also have the earlier 18 spline 904 trans where I have found what you did. There’s basically nothing out there for the older 18 spline trans. So, being they were down the block from me, literally! I went to Pro Torque and the owner himself opened up my converter and custom stalled the converter to the car and its specs and driving style intended. Call them up. They’re currently in Pa. though it’s a Suffolk minty area code.

Will my combination work okay until I get another Trans that has the later spine so I can get a higher stall converter later on?

Thanks,

Doug
Partly depends on your definition of "Okay", should it be functional? yes, will it be optimal? probably not, will you be Okay with performance? probably, especially if it is a somewhat temporary situation.

Upgrade the transmission it was designed for like 200hp and little torque of a factory 273. A shift kit is not going to make it stronger only change the shift points and find every weak link. If you are upgrading to a better transmission and a new style engine you can buy an off the shelf tc for that combo not the combo you removed. Find a good 904 from a 70’s Abody and never look back - after a rebuild that is. You don’t need crazy parts, just a good strong transmission.

-
Back