TQ Oppinions/ +/- needed

-

73DartSport340

Reaction score
Ok guys after threads on the subject here and on another board I have come to the conclusion that the Edlebrock Thunder Series 650 will probably be the carb...I have brought home a TQ carb that came with the car also I was not sure if it was the original carb or not but it DID run before it was taken off. I did not include the TQ in the list of my options becuase I did not have the carb at the time AND becuase I really don't know a lot about them...here is the chance to let me know about them. i have looked them up got some basic info from a guy that rebuilds TQ's(Demonsizzler is his name on the Moparts board) and he was VERY helpfull in explaining stuff.

So what can you tell me about the TQ? Would getting this rebuilt(about $225-250) be worth the savings over the Eddie? or should I just get the Eddie? PLEASE enlighten me. I'm not so worried about the lack of parts for the TQ as I am the lack of something(like a book, or a pamphlet like comes with the Eddie carbs) that tells you how to set up/tune them if you have a problem.

If you give Demonsizzler all the car/engine specs, the carb will be real nice. It is worth the savings. However, the choice of carb is sometihng of what you want more than anything. You can allways ethier download or request the instructions from Edelbrock. I have in the past. They were good about it and quick on it.

I like any carb that works as intended to, free of defects.

I have never used on but always wanted to try one. They should make great street carbs.

First of all, there are no jets or metering rods available for the TQ. So they really have no tuning ability. They are a good carb, but. Unless you can come across an old Carter Strip Kit for the TQ. Then you'd be in business. The Thunder Series is the same as the old AVS. A good carb in its day. Easy to use, and tune. Edelbrock will have tuning parts for it. Take your choice.

don

dusterdon said:
First of all, there are no jets or metering rods available for the TQ. So they really have no tuning ability. They are a good carb, but. Unless you can come across an old Carter Strip Kit for the TQ. Then you'd be in business. The Thunder Series is the same as the old AVS. A good carb in its day. Easy to use, and tune. Edelbrock will have tuning parts for it. Take your choice.

don

Not so! New primary jets, new 2ndary jets and new #1966 metering rods are still available. So tuning ThermoQuad carbs can be done, David.

demon sizzler when did you join?! i was about to step in and give my 2 cents on the thermoquads till i saw you here. there is no one better qualified to answer and thermoquad questions than you. you know these things better than anyone. i love the one you built for me last year. :thumbup:

AdamR, I sent you an email;

7demon2, thanks for the info and the plug! I joined this board a while back but do not post much, David.

Thanks for chiming in Sizzler! I USED to be on Moparts a lot more too but lately I like it HERE a lot better...I can actually ask a WiW Question with out some know it all moderator/admin telling me(or anyone else) to quit running for sale adds...much more laidback and friendly HERE

-
Back