TQ question

-

mderoy340

Reaction score
I've been running my vacuum advance on full manifold vacuum and decided to swap over to ported vacuum port. When I took the ported block off cap it was wet with fuel. Hooked up the vacuum line and ran it for a little while and it had a small amount of fuel in the hose.
Carb works great and floats are set correctly. I don't have an overhaul kit on hand so I didn't want to open it up yet.

I don't see a question.

Should I have a small amount of fuel inside the vacuum advance hose on the ported vacuum end?

I don't see a problem. The fuel in the line was probably present to begin with. A little bit from the vacuum source backed in. Blow it out with compressed air.

It occurred to me that Ive never ever thought to look.Its not like one day a guy gets up in the morning and says, "hey I think Ill go pop a vacuum line and see if its wet inside".lol
But then I thought to myself;By the time I shut the engine off, get my fat, lazy *** out to the front, open the hood, remove the air filter house, pop the line and look; Any fuel that was in there should have long ago flashed.
So heres my question; are you sure it was fuel? And how much is a bit? And are you sure it was hooked to the spark port? Some TQs have a purge port up there.The timing of that port is different than the sparkport.
In any case since those ports are on the topside of the Tplates, fuel should not be in there.Those vacuum ports are above the idle discharge ports and mostly above the transfers as well.On a correctly working TQ, I cant imagine how it could get in there. I also cant imagine it being a problem, unless its indicating an internal leak.

Since the ported vacuum port is above the throttle plates, but below the fuel discharge, it is certainly normal to see a little fuel in that port.

This is a pre smog TQ off a 440 truck motor (no canister purge or egr ports). It only has PCV and distributor vac up front, and air valve dash pot on the rear.

Since the ported vacuum port is above the throttle plates, but below the fuel discharge, it is certainly normal to see a little fuel in that port.

Yep, and it's also why those plastic POS vac cans on the jeeps melt.
(because fuel does get in that port because of it's location)

By the way, guys, I recently heard a member mention pushing a thanks button. Well call me dumb, but I had to hunt for that button. I mean I knew I had thanked a lot of guys over the weeks, but where was this thanks button? DOH. Found it!
So if you see your thank numbers multiplying like rabbits, thats me catching up.Heh-heh.

So Rusty, Are you saying fuel from the boosters/mains gets in there? Ive never noticed ,looked,or even thought to.

Keep in mind that air/fuel goes in and out of that port when the vac diaphram moves back and forth, so some fuel ends up in there.
(and why I mentioned the melted plastic vac cans on Jeeps) :D

-
Back