Track Burnout Question?

-

Howard1784

Reaction score
Is it really necessary to do burnouts with street tires? (not including ET streets and the like) (Also not for entertainment necessity)

IMO, in most cases with std tires - meaning non-drag racing tires - no. In fact, it can cause more harm than good if your track has an indent they spray the water into. You want drive around the water, maybe a quick hop or two to clean off the tread surface. Then let the track prep work for you.

To me it would be no, unless you just do a small one to clean the water off if you drive into thr water box area.

To me it would be no, unless you just do a small one to clean the water off if you drive into thr water box area.

Yeah, that's the problem I mentioned.. It flings off the tires and onto the wheel well. Then drips down on or in front of the tires... It can be hard to be consistent even with a low powered car when that starts happening.

Thanks for the input guys, I have a 380 HP crate motor and thought I could get away without tearing up the tread and saving tread life if and when I finish it. "The well hath run dry" here.

Around the water and back into the moisture out of the box. Give it a quick spin to get some temp in them, no John Force burnouts, and up to the line. If you go crazy, they can get greasy.

ET Street radials don't like big burnouts either, so it's not a street tire specific thing.

IMO, i just do a quicky spin to try and spin off some the gravel/crap that the warm tires pick up while driving from the pits to the lanes.

With my M/T drag radials, I do a quick burner out of the water box. Just
short of about half way to the line. A quick dry hop and into the first lite.
I do a short burn out to get ALL the water off the tires. So no slip-sliding
away!:burnout:

If you can't avoid the water box (like at the track I go to), just a quick burnout to clean and dry the tires.

If you have radials,then they don't need a burn out.
But Hoosers like a little heat.

If you drive thru the water do a good burnout. Pro classes get pissed when you track water down the track. It's embarrassing to have the starter call you out.

starting out in a slow 14 second 74 dart with street tires. if u can avoid the water do so, do not do dry hops with any car u ever have, slow or fast. if u have to go through the water sit about half a foot before the pad ends ( usually cement ) and just do a quick spin of the tires i usually did 1-2 gears, here when street cars run they put a cone in the right tire groove so u wont track water into a slick cars path. when u get to a radial or slick ur burnouts will be different

-
Back