Track Time

-

440dartsport

Reaction score
I finally was able to get back to the track this season on Sunday. The car is an all steel, pump gas street car, 74 Dart Sport. 500" RB with an 18 Spline 4 speed. S-60 4.30 gears with 28x11.5" M/T slicks. Super Stock springs with snubber. Spinning badly we ran a 10.6 at 132.6mph with a 1.69 60'. Hopefully with some more runs this fall we can get the 60' down to where it should be.

Nice MPH! That 500" is making some real grunt with a full weight car :thumbrig:. looks like you're geared just about right with the 28" tires too.

I'm guessing "weight transfer" is probably the biggest issue at this point? Does she carry the wheels much, or at all?

Thanks Rick. The motor was Dynoed at 760 hp and 680 tq this spring. The wheels don't carry at all. The front tires pop up about 6" and then the whole car bounces up and down for the first 100' about. I could only drop the tires down to 15psi because they were starting to spin on the rim. I'm screwing the bead this week and will try to drop the air down lower this weekend hopefully.

So at this point, it's launching like a early Camaro....lol. Just kidding !!! I couldn't pass that one up :D:D:D.

I'm confident that suspension/shock work will definitely get you where you need to be. Just takes time. Also, be a little cautious dropping the tire pressure. Too low can get a little squirrely on the big end and during braking.

Then, there's a certain rod type apparatus that installs under the front of the leaf springs. I hate to mention it by name because I don't want to turn your thread into a battle over "those things" :D. But I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Take the bounce out and watch your 60ft come down. Adjust your shocks stiffer.

I'll add that since the end of the season is approaching, if your current clutch assembly has some adjustment available, you may be able to back off the "hit" a little and see how that works? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if a hun or two of ballast at the far rear of the car wouldn't give you some ET?

That's possible. I'm not running an adjustable clutch though. It's a ceramic twin disc McLeod. And the rear shocks are also non adjustable. They are stiff rancho truck shocks. The front suspension is a coil over Alterkation with double adjustable shocks. I have them set all the way loose.

For what you have now, I think your in a decent place.

I want to say that I've never personally owned a 10sec car, or something capable of 9's which I believe yours is when it's right. I have been around and driven some stout 500/600hp stick cars, but nothing as powerful as yours. So take my comments for what their worth, as I'm just trying to add to the conversation :thumbrig:.

I'm curious as to the snubber clearance and your launch rpm? I ran a few high torque BB stick cars with "small" tires and stockish suspensions that actually liked leaving at a fairly low rpm.....in the 2500/3000 rpm range.

You will need a good adjustable shock for the rear to get a handle on the launch (preferably a double adjustable). Nice MPH, it should be 10.0's or just tickling the 9's when hooked up.

You will need a good adjustable shock for the rear to get a handle on the launch (preferably a double adjustable). Nice MPH, it should be 10.0's or just tickling the 9's when hooked up.

make sure those rear shocks are long enough. we ran w/o a snubber on the old hemi back in the day, it just tore them up, and didn`t leave any better w/ it. kick - *** car !!!

The rear shocks are long enough. I did check that. The rear of the car is rising a good 3+ inches. What would be a good adjustable shock for me? Snubber clearance is 1/4" from the floor. I should have tried launching at a lower rpm but I was changing one thing at a time and ran out of time. I was launching at 4,000, shifting at 6,800 and going through the traps at 6,800.

Snubber = door stop to let breeze into the garage.

Clamp the snot out of the front segments, loosen rear segments and get a set of GOOD shocks. 9 Ways at a minimum and better a set of AFCO double adjustables.

I got 3 passes in today and thought I would give an update. The first pass the shifter jammed in second gear but got the 60' down to 1.48. The second pass was a 1.49 60' and ran a 10.4 at 133. The third pass was 10.3 at 134 with a 1.46 60'. Then we saw the wheel studs were bending so we packed up and went home early. There is still ET to be shaved but we're getting closer.

I got 3 passes in today and thought I would give an update. The first pass the shifter jammed in second gear but got the 60' down to 1.48. The second pass was a 1.49 60' and ran a 10.4 at 133. The third pass was 10.3 at 134 with a 1.46 60'. Then we saw the wheel studs were bending so we packed up and went home early. There is still ET to be shaved but we're getting closer.

That's a huge reduction :thumbrig:. What did you change, if anything? I'm sure the current weather conditions didn't hurt also...

It was mostly track prep. We got out there early when the track was still sticky. This track only sprays once in the morning and that's it. I also screwed the beads and dropped the air pressure to 12 psi. And the temp was cooler. Last week it was 75 and yesterday it was 47

-
Back