Traction Problem!

-

69dodgedart360

Reaction score
hello all,

ok i ran my dart on that G-tech pro meter thingamajig since the closest dragstrip is 3hrs away and it didnt run what i thought it would due to major wheelspin thru first,slight wheel spin in 2nd and caught in 3rd my 60ft time was HORRIBLE 2.40s what can i do to get my 60ft times down to 2.00's? right now i only have a converter that stalls at 2500, 3.55 one legger (i know i definately need a posi) SS springs and monroe shocks nothin special. what should i get for this thing to hook up?
Heres what it ran

60ft----------2.42
quarter mile---13.22
mph----------112.40

At 112 if i hook up i should run in the 12's shouldnt i??? so what can i do to make it a reality??

P.S. changing the converter to stall at 3000 is a good idea but nothing i want to do until later. traction bars???? pinion snubber? thanks

Slicks, sure-grip, spring clamps, pinion snubber, and then a higher gear ratio and stall converter. These improvements should certainly get you into the 12`s with room to spare.

there is also another easy trick that works really well, all you have to do is straighten the front of your rear leaf springs, it changes the point of lift and makes weight of you and car get thrown back over rear wheels helps alot,

Best bang for the buck is a 3.91, or 4.10 gear and some M/T drag radials. Them freakin tires hook. With a decent 60 foot time you should be capable of very low 12's if not faster. Its too bad your 3.55 is open. You'd probably have no trouble trading it for something bigger. 3.55's are pretty prized by the resto set as a good compromise gear. good luck.

don

SURE-GRIP! Roughly doubles your traction. Until you do that, not much is gonna help. Well, sticky tires are always good.

3.91 gears are nice if it aint your freeway cruiser.

sure-grip-3.55 and up
check and set pinion angle
add pinion snubber and adjust
more or better tires
check and ajust torsion bars
front end alignnment
90/10 shocks
frame ties
move battery to the trunk

replace trans, motor mounts and underwear:burnout:

Sure you need a posi but what tires are you using ?? A good set of stickies should work great for you. I have the 40 year old leaf springs with air shocks on my 63. And with Hoosier QTP dot tires it will pull a 1.58 to 1.62 sixty ft times and get air under the left front wheel. You should not have that much trouble hooking up with a good sticky tire. Ron

Yeah, I'll jump on the bandwagon...
60ft----------2.42
That's the problem. My car, with a MISSING intake lobe(discovered shortly after racing), would run 15.6X's in 85+ degrees, with a passenger and a trunk full of tools/parts. Old crappy bias ply tires (bald by the end of the day).

I was only able to get 2.217-2.214 short times. Spinning the tires. And it'd only go thru the traps at about 86 mph! If your car pulls that kind of mph, yours should have my old one bad before the 60 foot mark.

Here's a few things I found that helped my car:

Adjustable pinion snubber. I found the tighter I cranked it, the better my car hooked. I eventually went to pre-loading it.

Mess around with timing. My particular car seemed to like a little more initial advance and reduced mechanical. Of course, that doesn't help w/o traction...

My Valiant's tires liked burnouts. The hotter I got 'em, the better they worked. Of course, they'd never completely hook up. Different tire compounds like different things.

Your mileage may vary. Hope it helps.

-bill

Trying to hook up a 12 second or faster car on the street is very difficult. The street is dirty and not prepped. I hook fine at the track but if I take my car out on the county highway next to my house I can't go full throttle until the top of second gear and then I have to be careful shifting into high gear. I do not believe there is anything wrong with your car it is just the street surface.

Chuck

A sure grip and some 235-60-15 M/T drag radials should get you high 12s. You have the power. At 112mph you should be pretty deep in to the 12s too. Work on getting some 1.8X 60fts (never happen on the street)

And to make those drag radials, or any other tire combo, you'll have to heat them. Line locks.

I agree with Bill... you are getting killed on 60ft. There's at least .7-1.0 to gain there alone. You have a 12.00 or better car IMHO.

i vote for a 3:91
and a pair of MP drag shocks to allow the ss springs to move full travel
a pair of slicks or d.o.t slicks

-
Back