tranny color

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I am rebuilding a 360 for my sons car and putting a 904 behind it. I am painting the 360 Chrysler blue. What was the tranny colors back in 73. I was thinking of painting it blue to match the engine but need your opinion. Thanks,Bill

If it doesn't clean up nice,and must be sprayed use Seymour Alumi-Blast paint.
Seymour is a great paint, an the Alumi-Blast is a great match for the natural finish.

It's good to leave transmission unpainted as possible, its for heat dissipation reasons, the same reason they are cast in aluminum. Bunch of paint is not going to help keep it cool.

It's good to leave transmission unpainted as possible, its for heat dissipation reasons, the same reason they are cast in aluminum. Bunch of paint is not going to help keep it cool.

An aftermarket finned/extra capacity pan and a cooler with take can of that.

Cmon youre pulling our leg.Early automatics were cast iron. In the early 60s they switched for weight savings in mid size cars.Aftermarket transmissions come painted and powdercoated and race cars run blankets and scattershields. They dissapate heat thru the cooler and pan.

I think I am gonna just put some dat cast aluminum paint on it from summit. I kinda like that idea. Thanks, Guys

I have had in the car for 2 months now and it doesnot over heat one bit....

Attachments

• IMAG0085.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 214
  • IMAG0087.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 225
Manual trans don't typically overheat. The OP is asking about automatics, which are heat-sensitive.

Manual trans don't typically overheat. The OP is asking about automatics, which are heat-sensitive.

Just use a cooler. However if you're really worried about it, just get the cooler that has an electric fan on it.

I vote to paint it also. The as cast sucks up dirt and oil and will look like crap in short order. Paint will make it easier to keep looking good. I guess the best of both worlds would be to polish the whole thing!

-
Back