Tranny confusion......Manual to Automatic

-

dewsky

1975 Duster 360
Reaction score
Ok guys.....I currently have a 360 with a 4 Speed behind it in my 75 Duster. Car was originally a Slant 6 auto, but the previous owner changed it over to the current setup. Anyway, I would like to convert it over to an automatic, but I'm confused about what all I need for the engine besides a flex plate and torque converter. Does the torque converter need to be balanced? Do I need to worry about throwing off the balance of the engine (was balanced when it was built). Was thinking all I need to do is get the transmission, Torque Converter and a flex plate and bolt it up. But wanted to make sure I didn't make a vibrator out of my car.

1....You need to decide if you want a 904 or 727
2....You need a transmission which bolts to a smallblock, not a slant, nor a B/ RB
3.....IF you have a console shifter, you need a trans with the bottom bolt holes for the shifter shaft support bracket
4....You need to balance the (OEM style) converter to the engine, that is a neutral balance engine needs a neutral balance converter, OR use a neutral converter and an aftermarket weighted flex plate to match the engine

..........And as above, you need to determine the balance setup on the engine. Is it an OEM style build, or has it been specially/ internally balanced, or what?

-
Back