Tranny Cooler Help

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
I need a trans cooler since my new radiator doesn't have one built into it.

I am looking at the Derale 13740.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13740/overview/

This one comes with -6AN fittings.

However, they make the same cooler with -8 or -10 fittings.

Which size should I get?

Attachments

• der-13740_ml.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 146
Those fittings are all huge compared to the factory sized lines. Are you planning on feeding it from the stock cooler line feed & return?

I was told by a reputable transmission builder that the feed lines are not part of the main circuits as much as they are bypassed near the pump as extra fluid not used to operate the transmission at a given instant. While they are obviously all part of the transmission fluid circuits, the longer the fluid stays in the cooler, the more cool it will become. You do not want to restrict flow at a cooler. With this cooler, the stock feed and return lines themselves will be the limiting factor.

I can appreciate the really going for it with the cooler, although I'm not sure what your going to be doing with the transmission?

Heard good things about B&M super-coolers, gonna snag a 11x11x1.5 soon. You can put a fan on any cooler, though most of the time it's not needed. I'd also install a temp gauge.

Temp gauge yes.

B&M no. It is a stacked plate which is the best type but I'm done with B&M products.

I'm getting the Derale.

I can appreciate the really going for it with the cooler, although I'm not sure what your going to be doing with the transmission?

Car is street driven 99% of the time. Maybe goes to a strip a few times per year.

Glad to hear the -6 will work as it is the cheapest of the 3.

-
Back