tranny crossmember and tranny mount

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
how does the crossmember go onto the car? which way does it face to bolt on? is there a correct way or a wrong way?

and also what transmission mount do i need. i went down to the local auto parts store and got a mount, it doesn't look to be the right one though. when i looked up the part number of my mount, it seems that it would be the right one, but that there are also other correct ones that fit.

PLEASE if anyone has pics of how the crossmember and mount and tranny all go together. when i got my car it had no crossmember or tranny, so i have no idea how it all goes back together. thank you!

this may help

older Pictures 351.jpg

It bolts up how Bobs is in the picture. The mount on the cross member faces the rear. As far as mounts are concerned I dont know. I had one laying around. Took out the rubber(?) Im guessing and installed polyurethane bushings.

the mount that i have is tall and square. doesn't look like bobs at all. i looked up the part number on energy suspension. and what i have is supposedly what i need for my application.

The little stud on early mounts that drops through the crossmember goes towards the front.

The crossmember hole will be on the leading edge side.

You still looking for some wheelhouses? Send me a PM.

so if i have the "early" style mount i guess, is that okay? is that what i should have on a 67 dart or should i have a mount like bob has?

and if i need that mount, then i need a different crossmember

Early as in pre 67? Because mine looks like Bobs. You may just have the wrong mount. But the way the cross member itself goes it should be the same. But like you said you might need to get a different crossmember. Where did you get the one you have?

So what is the difference between these two?

I know one is the Heavy Duty Package, and the other is not.

The Heavy Duty package is cheaper then the other and is missing that piece that goes across. Does it really matter which one you purchase?

Thanks!

5302374_anh_2340_pri_detl.jpg

12014770_anh_2512_pri_detl.jpg

i got my crossmember from a fabo member who promised that all A-body crossmembers from 67-76 are the same.

this is what my mount looks like and from what my crossmember looks like, i believe this is the only possibly mount that could fit to the crossmember. i'm not too sure though

will take a picture of the crossmember that i have once i get home.

51112G.jpg

They probably are all the same. I have never seen a mount like that though, mine looks like the one on the right in the pictures that myasylum posted. Your mount, just like the factory ones are slotted, the slotted holes bolt to the tail housing, and then the area circle in red is where the long bolt goes through the crossmember. Im sure the one you bought will work. Looks like it would, maybe someone else can determine that. Or throw it on the crossmember and tranny to give it a test fit

older Pictures 351.jpg

thanks the way that the picture that you and bob posted makes sense to me. but i just dont know how that would go onto my crossmember. i was looking at jimsautoparts.com as well (who sells all sorts of mopar parts) and they sell the mount that i bought also.

i will take pictures of my crossmember when i get home though and verify first off that i have the right mount.

i know this is supposed to be really easy and not complicated. but it could have been complicated if i don't even have the right crossmember...

so than RPMLegends18 you must then have the cheaper Heavy Duty one for $9.99. Interesting. It looks like your pushing some decent HP too, so it obviously works. I guess, I'll get that one than??

myasylum that is bobs picture from above. RPM just took the picture to circle something for me.

and also keep in mind that when i was looking the 10 bucks is most likely for the rubber/poly insert that goes inside the mount. not 100% sure on that though. but from what ii have found, thats most likely what cost $10..

My 70 Duster, manual, used the square one, my 70 Swinger 727 used the square one. Swapped in a 727 into the Duster- square one. A 69 727 I bought- square.
Dunno.

lol myasylum that is Bobs picture. I just didnt want to crawl under my car to take a pic and circle it. But yeah I was looking at his specs...it defiantly makes some ponies...I hope he doesnt mind I used his pic. Hey myasylum on the heavy duty one do those other tabs bolt to the crossmember? Thats the way it looks but I just wanna make sure, thanks.
Ride:
71 dodge demon
Engine type and displacement:
512 wedge
Induction:
S/C
Major modifications:
brc crank, brooks rods, lazer roller cam, wisco pistons, 440-1 heads
Tranny type:
Automatic
Tires:
Slicks
Race weight:
Horsepower:

The Heavy Duty one only have Four holes. Two that bolt onto the tranny, and one for the bolt that goes through the crossmember, and one that faces the ground. Don't ask me why thats called "Heavy Duty?"

The Non-Heavy Duty one has 6 holes. I have NO idea what the other two holes are for? I was hoping maybe someone else has input on that.

You notice even fredsmedina's that he posted only has three holes and a bolt that points toward the ground as well. I'd really like to know what those extra two holes are for on the Non-Heavy Duty one is for??!?

The spool style is a 73-76 mount, like Bob's.

The square block style is a 67-72

fredsmedina i got my crossmember from a fabo member who promised that all A-body crossmembers from 67-76 are the same.

this is what my mount looks like and from what my crossmember looks like, i believe this is the only possibly mount that could fit to the crossmember. i'm not too sure though

will take a picture of the crossmember that i have once i get home.

If this helps here's pics of My 72 Dart with 318/904 showing how the mount you have is located within the crossmember as cracked back explained.
Anybody know do 727's use the other type mount?
Think cracked back just answered My ? Thanks ..

tranny mount 011.JPG

tranny mount 003.JPG

So the heavy duty has less holes than they non heavy duty? And I always wondered as well what the one facing down is for...well jomoper just answered the bolt pointing down question. So crackedback is correct, different crossmember. Maybe you have a spool crossmember like mine

Well what crackedback said makes perfect sense, that explains everything.

"The spool style is a 73-76 mount, like Bob's.

The square block style is a 67-72"

So what fredsmedina has is correct.

I'm still confused on the difference between the HD, and Non HD mounts for 73+.

So yes the HD has less holes. It makes no sense to me! I'm going to go look at one now at Carquest for $6.99! They even said it doesn't make sense. WTF??

-
Back