Tranny men please read my torquenverter

-

winstoninwisc

Taint easy livin free,season ticket ona 1wayride
Reaction score
I just blew my 727 trans,dropped it pulled the guts and found I smoked it. What happened? I was bummin. I took it to a Mopar only tranny man we looked at the tourqenverter and theory's flew . Please give me yours for food for thought as I rebuild and get a new tourqenverter as the seal in the throat was ate out.the pics show the torquenverter was not flush at the crank , but what is going on here? Please give experienced opinion we can guess later. Thanks All Hagr812
IMG_20180520_184929748.jpg
IMG_20180520_184926795.jpg

Flywheel bolts loose in the crank. Wrong bolts?
Flex plate bent?

None of the above all addressed. But I am wondering if I need thinner head bolts , but why is converters cocked the thicknesses of 2 or 3 layers of paint and is this really enough to year out the seal with vibration?

Looks like the convertor was pushed hard against the crank bolts. Were they factory flex plate/crank shaft bolts? Maybe the snout on the convertor was made longer for a mid plate?

Read somewhere a convertor balooned, from pressure?
I do know the flex plate to crank bolts have quite thin heads.

Loose bellhousing bolts? Previously damaged torque?

It was all brand new , less than 500 miles on it ,hate to think I got a bad tourqenverter or bad seal but will be checking throat for square weld and tourqenverter to be all level with the world

And I see no signs of ballooning in the converter, no nitrous under 400 HP this bothers me for future ,any 1 tell me the thickness of the 360 La crank bolts , I will post the ones I have tommoro with flex plate pics

Can any 1 tell me what the snout should measure so I can x check mine.
If by the snout, you mean the pilot that goes into the crankshaft, they're all the same size as I recall. My converter catalog does not give me that dimension, but if you really need to know the dimensions, I'll phone Tuesday to the converter shop I worked for and get you the size of it. Monday is a holiday up here in Canada. What you can do, is measure the hole in the crank, then measure the diameter of the converter pilot(or snout as you say) and see if there is a huge difference is size.

Make sure that you check the bushing in the pump carefully. If the seal got torn out, there is a good chance that the bushing in the pump that the converter hub slides into could be damaged. Also, look at the hub carefully, it's got to be as smooth as a crank journal. If not, you're looking at problems down the road.

There is another possibility, although it's a slim one. The runout on the converter hub. Our shop, on a stock converter allowed no more than 10 thousands of an inch runout on a stock converter. High stalls, even less. Most shops, unless they're a converter shop lack the equipment to do this procedure properly.
More pictures of the converter and a bit more information on your setup might also help us.

Check with ARP for your crank to flex plate mounting bolts, and while you're at it check their converter to flex plate bolts. These are a thin head bolt.
I don't know what flex plate you are using, but I've attached a PDF file showing the factory Chrysler ones. It's an easy mistake to install them backwards.

Attachments

• flexplates.pdf
    423.2 KB · Views: 126
I changed the flex plate to a B n M much thicker full round plate. I believe when I measured the crank it was a 1.81 and tourqenverter was 1.79 will recheck tomorrow

Any chance your engine’s end play is ok ? Thrust bearing ?

Kim it was loaded on the magnet in the panbut mostly like graphite ,there was also some bronze and metal flake in the pan if this helps diagnose better

The flex plate will only go on one way. Very possible the bolt heads are too thick. Should be obvious if you have the correct ones. You might have not had the converter fully seated. That will kill your trans. When assembling the trans to the engine, you should have had to pull the converter towards the engine a small amount when putting the converter bolts back in. You better drop the oil pan, and check the thrust bearing. It's probably destroyed, and will throw shavings all through the engine.

Last edited:
You could just check end play of crank to determine if main bearing thrust is worn. Do that before pulling pan.

He asked for advice not a spelling check .
That isn't spelling. It's like when I read ads that say "small black motor", or "12 volt rear end", or "8.75 posi rear end". Sorry if this bothers you, but do you really want to go thru life with people thinking you are uneducated? ("you" in this case refers to anyone; people in general).

But I am am uneducated hillbilly farmer that built houses all my life .I did graduate the 8 the grade in 1972 but only because i sided the teacher house. I am not politically correct ,swear like a sailer , don't like our governments view at this time,Do as we say not as we do pukes ,Can't spell, ain't pretty and my legs are thin but thanks for taking the time to correct me. Sorry if my lingo didn't jive but you did now what I meant and I do know what it does sorry it blew your gasket . I'm over it. As for others over it helping me troubleshoot Thanks..Hagr812. Yes that's Have a great one too , cause we know Hagar ate one too, We just don't know what he ate, but it worked!!

-
Back