Tranny oil

-

no1newb

Reaction score
Ok, so I decided to drain my tranny and put new tranny fluid in it, I got 3 quarts of 80w-90 and put it in there, i also put Teflon on the drain plug. well, now i realized i shouldn't use valvaline 80w-90 because its Gr-5 and ive read a couple places that i should use gr-4 and i saw people were using synchromesh, so i went and got 4 quarts of that today, and i couldn't get the damn drain plug off. it kept striping the corners of the square plug..why did they even use those nut heads? and will it hurt having a little less than 3 quarts of 80w-90 and the rest pensoil synchromesh?

and i was just moving the gears around, and its pretty hard to shift into second gear.
How do you guys suggest on getting the drain bolt off?

I use 80/90, no problems. Why change it? Did you try vise grips? A little heat may work as well. Good luck?

A good GL4 gear oil is Castrol VMX80....a lot of manual FWD cars use this as well as 4WD manual trans too, ie: Toyota Hilux & LandCruisers.
The 4sp manual transmissions used in Valiants here in Oz, were BW's, not 833's.
They took engine oil, SAE 30.....put in SAE 50 and you can't change into 2nd for about a mile.....LOL....found that out the hard way.
If you need to use vicegrips to undo the drain/fill plugs......replace them.

-
Back