Tranny Options

-

scampy72

Reaction score
hey guys i know i havent been on here in a while, but now im back with a new question :)

im looking into trans options for my 440 (going into a 72 scamp) and had questions for the guys that have done RB swaps.

the obvious choice is a 727 auto, my question is if i wanted to go with a manual trans what would be the options.

a) what is the generally used trans (4 speed?)

b) is there a more modern 5 or 6 speed that i could use that wont break the bank and wont need too much electrical wizardry to install in the car?

Depends on how "original" you want the car to be. I'd go for a 6 speed over a 4 speed any day that way you can have stupid high gears in the rear and when you hit 6th gear the ratio drops a lot.

If you are talking about an automatic and don't mind some surgery a 4l80 can be built and ran without the electronics......

what would be the plus' to that over a 727? and also i was looking into 5/6 speeds as well, any ideas on that? i just want to improve mileage a bit and also the extra gears should be helpful right?

4l80e has an od ratio of .75 and can be used with a lock up convertor which will help drop the rpm a bit more, when it is locked up it will behave in the same way a stick shift will, goose the go pedal and there will be no slip. With a lock up convertor you will be able to run a convertor with some stall in it with out paying for it on the open road.....

There is a couple of threads on here about installing a t-56 tranny in an Abody. Personally I'd go with the t-6060 tranny found in the new challengers, camaros, vettes, viper, mustang.

lenco st1200 street/strip transmission. youd never break the trans, just everything else :)

thanks guys, still no opinions in the stick huh?
If you are talking a t56......might be about the same amount of money to get a new one $2900 as it will be to hunt down a used one and get it rebuilt. It will need a hydraulic clutch set up as well. Gonna take some surgery to get it in. I had a list of parts it would take to swap it in, have no idea where I put it though. If I remember right it was close to 5k in parts....but don't quote me on that and that was using pretty much everything new. Will you be able to do the surgery on the car yourself? Might want to just wait until the guy from PA releases his 5 speed that is supposed to fit in the car without cutting....although if I remember correct that trans is going to be over 4k for just the box....

wow thanks but thats alot more than im looking to spend at the moment. ill probably just go with the 727 until i can afford the more expensive options

-
Back