tranny swap ?s

-

JoseyWales

Reaction score
I am nearly ready for my slant 3spd to v8 auto swap. I was wondering is there a way to use my old style speedo gear setup with the newer style for an A-904? Also will the original tranny crossmember work? I have swapped many 67-76 style A-bodies but never an early one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The speedo gears interchange,but you need to clean and record the position and the number at the hold down clamp to reinstall in the 904 later,if not,wrong speedo reading,Mrmopartech

My orginal speedo gear in the tranny is totally different than the 66 or 67 and up trannies. I couldn't use mine. My gear on the older style hookes to the speado cable not in a housing like the newer ones.

Lee

Thats how mine is, it is much smaller in diameter than the later style. My current speedo gear is retained by a clip, and just pushes into the hole with a retainer holding it in place. The style my 904 has is the small aluminun housing that is threaded to accept the speedo cable. Were you able to use the cable or did you have to replace it?

No, I'm going to have a guy make me up speedo cable up. I think imperial services is the guy. I haven't had the guy make one up yet. Not even sure I can find his number again. Maybe the 66 speedo cable is the one were after.

I would like to know if the 66 and up A-bodies had the slip yoke trannies would have the speedo that would work? Wasn't the 66 and up trannies have the slip in yoke instead of the ball and trunion trannies? If so I would think that they would have the newer speedo gears and aluminum housings and would have the screw type end for the speedometer head?

Anybody now?

Lee

Oldvart, it should have the ball and trunion style. My question does you 66 have the speedo gear housing or is it like the ball and trunion styll cable where the gear is clipped on the cable. Where the newer style is just a cable that screws on both ends and just screws to the tranny and the speedometer head in the dash? Thanks for your input.

Lee

Mine is the screw on type w/ the slipyoke.

tran1.jpg

What's that bracket? My car doesn't have that. Thanks for the picture, that shows me a lot. Makes me think that when we put the newer trannies in a 65 and down car you just need a 66 style speedo cable.

Lee

-
Back