Trans and rear end swaps

-

dusterman79

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm still pretty new here. I have a 74' Duster with a 318 LA that I'm going to be keeping but the TF 727 is coming out and in comes a 3spd until I find a decently priced 4spd. The engine is a 74' 318 and I was told that my crank will have no recess cut for the pilot bearing. Is this true? I am also yanking the weak stock rear end and either putting a 3.91 or 3.55. I have all the clutch accy's I want to know if any of you have done this swap or know any tricky details that I'm going to run in to? I'm In the beginning plan stage and am trying to get my ducks as straight in the row as I can. I'm also thinking the cross member will be different too, is this correct? Any help and advice is much appreciated.

There is also a pilot bearing adapter available that goes in the larger register where the converter snout usually goes into the back of the crank. It eliminates the need to drill for the pilot bushing in the crank, and uses a bearing instead of a brass bushing! I believe the folks are finding them on eBay, and maybe a call to Brewers will steer you in the right direction if you can't find them on eBay!

You are also going to have to find the Z bar pivot ball that mounts to the frame if you don't have hat already! Otherwise I'm sure all of the other items can be had from Brewers or Passon to make this swap easier!! Geof

-
Back