trans cooler in/out ?

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
My cooler's not marked in/out so I'm assuming it doesn't matter ? Got the cooler from a friend and am bypassing radiator.

I don't think it matters. It didn't appear to affect mine when I installed it. This tread brings up a question though. I did not by pass the radiator but as I think about it now I probably am defeating the purpose of the cooler. I ran the lines from the tranny to the cooler and from the cooler to the radiator then back to the tranny. My thought now is if I wanted to lower the temp in the tranny and I ran the lines from the cooler to the radiator didn't I just cancel out the effect of the cooler? Wouldn't it be best, if I want to use both, to go to the radiator first then the cooler then back to the tranny? Now that you made me think about it I think I have mine *** backward.

I think warming the oil is just as important as cooling it. I suppose an external cooler should be final stage just incase the engine should run hot.

I don't think it matters. It didn't appear to affect mine when I installed it. This tread brings up a question though. I did not by pass the radiator but as I think about it now I probably am defeating the purpose of the cooler. I ran the lines from the tranny to the cooler and from the cooler to the radiator then back to the tranny. My thought now is if I wanted to lower the temp in the tranny and I ran the lines from the cooler to the radiator didn't I just cancel out the effect of the cooler? Wouldn't it be best, if I want to use both, to go to the radiator first then the cooler then back to the tranny? Now that you made me think about it I think I have mine *** backward.

I did the same. Used both the rad and inline cooler? I'm using one of these types. Lets hope someone with more knowledge can answer this. It makes sense to me that more cooling is better but I could be wrong.

91023112~3_R.jpg

I've researched this quite a bit ..... living in Florida, I bypassed the radiator as too cool fluid is rarely an issue. The radiator pass is as much to bring it up to temp as anything.

Just some info.. Read: Trans cooler. Posted on this site. About fourth one down by mrmopartech. He explains it. In the end, it's your choice though.

Just some info.. Read: Trans cooler. Posted on this site. About fourth one down by mrmopartech. He explains it. In the end, it's your choice though.

Here is the exert mentioned above:

"Ok,lets start a big fight.A automatic tranny to run correctly needs the oil to be at 160-180 tops to survive.The problem is heat that brakes down oil and then fails the cooling and lube properties that the tranny needs.If you never intend to drive your tranny in the winter,or cold areas,Do not run the lines into the rad to try and be cooled,it won,t happen.They do this to keep the tranny oil warm in the winter and not cause shifting problems.If you know your motor runs at 180-200 on the highway,why would you want to run the oil into some thing that makes it hotter than what it needs to,makes no sence.You run the lines to the cooler mounted in front of the rad and thats it.Blow out the cooling rad in the rad tank to clear the old oil out and leave it.You will find the tranny will last and live longer and tranny will shift more consistant,as the oil will be cooler and stay in its temperature zone that it was intended for,mrmopartech"

Thanks, 1969GTS. I haven't figured out how to do that thingy yet. LOL

Thanks, 1969GTS. I haven't figured out how to do that thingy yet. LOL

Highlight the text or picture you want with the mouse, hold down the control key and hit C at the same time. To past you hold down control and hit V. Or you can highlight and right click your mouse and use the copy past options.

Cheers

Highlight the text or picture you want with the mouse, hold down the control key and hit C at the same time. To past you hold down control and hit V. Or you can highlight and right click your mouse and use the copy past options.

Cheers

Man you do it the hard way. LOL

Cheers
Thanks, I'll try that next time.

Other than control A to highlight everything how do you do it quicker? I'm always open to better short cuts lol.

Left click and hold, high light with mouse, right click, click copy, go to where you want it , right click, click paste, done.

You can also delete words and pics by right click, and click "cut"

I have to disagree with what's been written so far. In both my '72 FSM and my '99 Dakota FSM the directions call for the tranny fluid to go through the main cooler in the radiator tank first, then routed through the auxiliary cooler and back to the transmission.
My '88 cop car has a factory set up as described above.
That said, there are different sizes of coolers and if you have one of the larger ones it probably would cool ok. I'm just reporting on what the FSM's say and show.
C

I have to disagree with what's been written so far. In both my '72 FSM and my '99 Dakota FSM the directions call for the tranny fluid to go through the main cooler in the radiator tank first, then routed through the auxiliary cooler and back to the transmission.
My '88 cop car has a factory set up as described above.
That said, there are different sizes of coolers and if you have one of the larger ones it probably would cool ok. I'm just reporting on what the FSM's say and show.
C

When I used to have Charger it had a automatic with a high stall. I bought a trans cooler... the instructions said to run it through the rad first then to the cooler. Now from my thinking the trans fluid is being cooled in the rad before it goes back to the trans not heated.... that's why cars with automatics run the transmisson fluid through the rad ... to cool it. I guess my thinking has always been wrong.

When I used to have Charger it had a automatic with a high stall. I bought a trans cooler... the instructions said to run it through the rad first then to the cooler. Now from my thinking the trans fluid is being cooled in the rad before it goes back to the trans not heated.... that's why cars with automatics run the transmisson fluid through the rad ... to cool it. I guess my thinking has always been wrong.

I have been rebuilding torqueflites since I was 17 (28 yrs.) and this is my thoughts. I have a hard time believing the factory trans cooler in the radiator is just there to warm the trans. oil in the winter and actually makes the trans. oil hotter in the summer. I do agree it must be warm to work properly in the winter but they create allot of heat on their own so I'd think they'll reach 160-180 in the winter without going through the radiator. Although it probably does warm it faster. But in the summer I'd bet the trans. temp gets a whole bunch hotter than 180-190 like the radiator temp is if you didn't have it ran through a cooler at all so the radiator cooler has to help. I'd also bet the trans oil running through the radiator actually warms the engine coolant in the summer cause transmissions run very hot especially if your running a high stall converter. It's just my thoughts but I'd think it'd actually be better to run it through the external trans cooler first to cool it before it reaches the radiator so in the summer both engine and trans run cooler and in the winter since the trans oil still runs through the radiator cooler it'd get warmed. I think the temp would be more consistent throughout the year at the trans. and not cause heating of the engine coolant plumbed that way. I haven't actually evaluated this with a heat gun so their just my ideas and take it at face value.:read2:

All rebeldart wanted to know was if he could hook his cooler in/out fittings either way. Guess we screwed up his thread. LOL Sorry rebeldart.

My thoughts on the radiator heating the tranny fluid - it wouldn't. Even in cold weather what do you do, start the car and drive off. How long will the car be running before the water in the block actually circulates to the radiator, probably a few miles down the road. If warming of the trans. fluid was critical, it doesn't seem like it would run and shift properly when you first took off.
My Dak FSM says if the trans. fluid is too cold, it won't shift up into overdrive unless the fluid is over 50*F.
Therefore, fluid too hot is bad and you would plumb to radiator and then cooler. Fluid too cold is -not- likely to be a concern unless you live in Alaska maybe. It seems that plumbing from the aux. cooler and back to the radiator is negating whatever you are trying to achieve, you cool it down and then warm it back up???

C

My thoughts on the radiator heating the tranny fluid - it wouldn't. Even in cold weather what do you do, start the car and drive off. How long will the car be running before the water in the block actually circulates to the radiator, probably a few miles down the road. If warming of the trans. fluid was critical, it doesn't seem like it would run and shift properly when you first took off.
My Dak FSM says if the trans. fluid is too cold, it won't shift up into overdrive unless the fluid is over 50*F.
Therefore, fluid too hot is bad and you would plumb to radiator and then cooler. Fluid too cold is -not- likely to be a concern unless you live in Alaska maybe. It seems that plumbing from the aux. cooler and back to the radiator is negating whatever you are trying to achieve, you cool it down and then warm it back up???

C

Your right. The heating would be minimal IMHO. As far as just starting and driving right off I guess that depends on your driving habits, and temp. where you live. I always warm my car up for at least a few minutes before driving when it's below 70 degrees.

I had ordered a a new radiator from Be-Cool, and they instructed me to route it through the radiator first, and then the external cooler. They mentioned the bringing the fluid to engine temp in the cold, as stated earlier. This just didn't seam correct to me, so I called John at Cope Racing Trans. (were I got my trans.). He told me to go through the rad first to get it to the engine temp 1st, and then further bring the temp down by running it through the external cooler.

Like the thread on coolers. My question is on an A-904 trans in a 65 Dart which line is the pressure (out) line and which is the return (in) line. I would think it would make a difference when plumbing an auxiliary cooler.

Like the thread on coolers. My question is on an A-904 trans in a 65 Dart which line is the pressure (out) line and which is the return (in) line. I would think it would make a difference when plumbing an auxiliary cooler.

The front fitting on the trans. is the pressure out and the rear fitting is the return line.

Thanks fishy68. That's kinda what I could determine from my investigations on the net. Just wanted to have confirmation as I think it will make a difference in how you plumb in an aux. cooler. Should go from pressure side of trans to rad. cooler then out of rad cooler to aux cooler to return to trans. It does make a difference on some aux coolers if they have directional fins within the cooling tubes, but then cooler should be marker with in/out directional arrows.
Nice looking 'Cuda. Always did like the fastbacks. BigOhOne

-
Back