trans cooler mounting

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Lets see those trans coolers where ya got them mounted. Radiator doesnt have cooler provisions so I have an external. Im concerned it may not be big enough and also where yall got yours mounted. Thanks!

What type do you have? There are coolers that mount directly to the radiator cores, there are also tube type that can be mounted to the frame rail.

I have mine mounted on the front side of the radiator.

I don't remember where I got this cooler, but it fit my needs. It may not be a necessity, but it makes me feel more better if I get hot-lapped.

Anyway, I bypassed my radiator trans cooler to avoid any trans heat into the radiator because the engine has Hard Block, plus I don't have to worry about the extra clutter and connections. But I found a convenient place inside the front bumper with the opening where the license plate goes being a good source of airflow. Just fabricated some brackets from aluminum flat bar.

I have bulkhead fittings going through the firewall and had the local hydraulic shop make up the connectors.

I got away from the radiator mount style because the nylon connectors can damage the radiator and it was a pain to disconnect that as well when pulling the radiator.

Attachments

• Trans cooler 002.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Trans cooler 003.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 281
  • Trans cooler 005.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 263
Not sure the one i have. Its a Fram unit. I actually bought it for my explorer years back but never used it so i figured id use it here. Still new in the box with plumbing. So does mounting it infront of the radiator take away any cooling abilities from the radiator cooling the engine?

Not sure the one i have. Its a Fram unit. I actually bought it for my explorer years back but never used it so i figured id use it here. Still new in the box with plumbing. So does mounting it infront of the radiator take away any cooling abilities from the radiator cooling the engine?

no, i'd say that it does not. think of a/c condensers mounted in front of radiators in countless number of cars...

0302132022.jpg

0302132023a-1.jpg

Mine is also mounted on my radiator, it is different than everything else I have seen on here but uses those black tie things to tie it to the radiator, you can use two rubber hoses and run them to the transmission and then clip your metal lines to fit the hoses over them. Make sure you use two metal clamps per line or get a wider clamp so that they stay on there tight.

The one i got is just like Bad Sport's but mine is only 4 rows not 6. If mounting to the radiator doesnt hurt anything i may go that route. But i do like what James and rob have done. Be nice not to have to remove the cooler if i need to take the radiator out.

oop, guess i'm gettin senile.
here ya go...

Attachments

• 0309131653.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 228
  • 0309131654.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 241
The one i got is just like Bad Sport's but mine is only 4 rows not 6. If mounting to the radiator doesnt hurt anything i may go that route. But i do like what James and rob have done. Be nice not to have to remove the cooler if i need to take the radiator out.

Well, you wouldn't. Just unhook the lines and the cooler will come out with the rad.

-
Back