Trans cooler mounting??

-

65BCODA

Reaction score
One of my next projects on the cuda will be to install a B&M plate type trans cooler.

Are there any recommendations as to the orientation of the inlet/outlet?
Does it matter whether they point downward or sideways?

Not a big fan of the "zip tie" type mounting through the radiator, planning to mount on some type of rigid bracket behind the grill but away from the rad.

Anyone with a similar set up I would be interested in photo's if possible.

Thanks Roger

Roger, I do not have a photo handy, sorry. But the in and out of the lines really do not matter much at all. Some prefur the in line up top on a horozontal layout. Otheres run the line up and down.

the cooler if not zip tied through the rad should not be more than an inch away from the rad. Just place it with a clear line of site to /for unresticted air flow and you'll be good to go.

This is how I did mine. Made a couple brackets out of steel and bolted it in front of the radiator. its missing the one that comes down from the radiator support.
It was rock solid when all bolted in and you can't see it with the grill on.

The only picture I could easily find of it.
frontendtornoff.jpg

Probably not ideal, but it works good.

Thanks AnotherA, looks as if you sectioned the rad support for some much needed realestate. I'm guessing you orintated your outlets downward?

Thanks AnotherA, looks as if you sectioned the rad support for some much needed realestate. I'm guessing you orintated your outlets downward?

Yeah, I needed the room for the electric fan. I never got around to cleaning up the support clearance job and making it look decent.

The inlet and outlet on the cooler are pointed down. The metal lines go through the radiator support and hug the bottom of the engine bay by the steering sector and then come across and hook into the transmission.

-
Back