trans cooler?

-

Mister Twister

Reaction score
This 904 was built by a local shop for a turbo set up. We now have over 100 passes on this without turbo. The converter is a 3200 10"? We noticed after 20 passes or so the shift from 2nd to 3rd was allowing the motor to rev up a little befor going into 3rd. It stayed that way for the next 80 passes. This also has reverse manual valve body.
Now the problem is we installed the cooler filled the fluid back up took it for a ride. Taking it easy till temp was up. We started a G-Teck hp and torque test trans acted like I pushed the cluch a little and dont have one :angry7:. We re-checked the fluid it was full. Would the mounting of the cooler matter this sits a little higher then bottom of rad now. Oh it happens in second also and during staging it bucks like a bronco with the motor running smooth. Thanks for any help you can give Don

wow, i'm thinking it's way passed time to tear it apart and fix it. cooler mounting is fine. this thing started acting strange soon after it was built to use behind a turbo motor sooooooooooo i wouldn't use that shop ever again.

This 904 was $904 they said it could be the converter or valve body witch I did not buy from them. Just bring it back we will fix. I think we will look else where. We have a few extra 904s around here. Pondering 727 Don

Sounds bad. First off never ever use a high stall converter without an auxiliary cooler. Especially if you race it. High stall converters create alot of heat and that's a transmissions worst enemy and will burn up a transmission real fast.

Oh yeah cooler mounting has no effect. It's under pressure so it'll stay full.

BTW: Why don't you take it back if they said they'd fix it? I can't understand why you wouldn't. If you continued to run it 80 more passes with it slipping it's your fault it's toasted. You should have shut it down as soon as it acted up and fixed the problem. Sorry to be blunt and no offense meant but that's the way I see it.

I will bring it back. We called them soon as we felt the problem they said not to worry about it we were lacking power to make it shift right. The trans never slipped out of gear once it was in till I changed to the external cooler just a qoweenkidinki. They will not take it out for me so we will bring to them soon. Have a good day fishy68 Don

I will bring it back. We called them soon as we felt the problem they said not to worry about it we were lacking power to make it shift right. The trans never slipped out of gear once it was in till I changed to the external cooler just a qoweenkidinki. They will not take it out for me so we will bring to them soon. Have a good day fishy68 Don

Oh, ok Don, that's different then. I thought you meant you just kept running it without telling them. If they told you it'd be ok and the problem was from lack of power it's not only their fault but their stupid. Any more power would just make it slip worse.

BTW: not slipping our of gear is good but you mentioned it slipped between shifts which is nearly as bad because any time it slips it's toasting the clutches and/or bands. Good luck

-
Back