Trans Fluid....+4?

-

Ruger64

Reaction score
My 1971 Valiant, 225/ A904 trans.
I am going to do a fluid change, and also band adjust.
It sat for 15 years, and has only 68k on it.
I don't know if it was ever changed "I don't think it was", but the fluid is clean, and I want to do some maint.
I was told to use Dex3/Merc at Advance.
I was also told to use ATF+4.
I am being told two different things by lots of folks, I am getting confused.

I see the Castrol ATF+4, but it is synthetic. And not cheap!
I was at WalMart, and saw the ATF+4 and took a photo of both sides of the bottle so you guys could see the specs on their Super Tech Fluid.
It is Half THE PRICE! But does not say synthetic. I am lost. Is this okay? I am so lost on what trans fluid to use.

2012-09-23124448_zps5d56d9ee.jpg

2012-09-23124617_zpsf6165a1b.jpg

Me personally, I would use the Dex3/merc .. Thats whats in the tranny in my Dart

i have used that exact stuff. i am also using full synthetic atf+4 in one trans and im also using type f in another. all with great results.

I seen the Dex3/Merc Bill....But now I am getting like 8 different people scaring the hell olut of me on this stuff.
Also. Is there a reason the ATF+4 from wal mart does not say synthetic? I thought they all were.

Also...Is there really a drain on the torque converter?

Well I guess we'll wait and see what others say, I have never had any problems with my tranny... as for your other questions, I have no idea why the Wal Mart stuff doesnt say synthetic.. and I have no clue about the converter either.. sorry

Your car still has a converter drain plug, it was later years that they did away with it.
When it comes to types and brands of fluids you will always get a mixed bag of answers.Almost the same as what carb is better Holley or Carter you will get hundreds of answers.Either of the two fluids you mentioned will work just fine in your slant 6 904 application.Now for the 101th answer for me it's Type F with 1 quart of SAE 30 engine oil,,, That will screw with your head..........

Your car still has a converter drain plug, it was later years that they did away with it.
When it comes to types and brands of fluids you will always get a mixed bag of answers.Almost the same as what carb is better Holley or Carter you will get hundreds of answers.Either of the two fluids you mentioned will work just fine in your slant 6 904 application.Now for the 101th answer for me it's Type F with 1 quart of SAE 30 engine oil,,, That will screw with your head..........

xs10.....this has been one for a lot of debate. truth be told, i have mixed and matched trans fluids of all types. type F with dextron, atf4 with type F ..yada yada. ive never lost a trans because of fluid type nor have i noticed any difference in performance.if its pink, i stick it in......:eek:ops:

Well I guess we'll wait and see what others say, I have never had any problems with my tranny... as for your other questions, I have no idea why the Wal Mart stuff doesnt say synthetic.. and I have no clue about the converter either.. sorry

I may just get what you they had at advance then. They had the Dex3/Merc for 16.99 a gallon. I think I need three with draining the converter.

I got the car up, and only looked quickly. I will see if it has an inspection cover like my other cars from years back. I am guessing the converter plug is behind it.
Yeah, I have seen oil debates and dreaded asking this...LOL One qt. of 30? Wooooo LOL

xs10.....this has been one for a lot of debate. truth be told, i have mixed and matched trans fluids of all types. type F with dextron, atf4 with type F ..yada yada. ive never lost a trans because of fluid type noe have i noticed any difference in performance. if its pink, i stick it in......:eek:ops:
hahahahahahaha.....That was funny!!!! LOL The pink part that is...

Having spoke to Chrysler legal in te past regarding ATF+4 additives as a substitute to the more expensive original, I learned that any fluid that wishes to conform to the ATF+4 standard (and display the registered trademark), must be evaluated, tested and approved by Chrysler. The SuperTech brand that you are asking about IS on the approved list for warranty use.

Whether or not this makes it the most suitable for use is another story. The standard is to ensure that the correct friction modifiers are used to provide the correct amount of friction and to ensure that servos do not gum up.

http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

Grant

Having spoke to Chrysler legal in te past regarding ATF+4 additives as a substitute to the more expensive original, I learned that any fluid that wishes to conform to the ATF+4 standard (and display the registered trademark), must be evaluated, tested and approved by Chrysler. The SuperTech brand that you are asking about IS on the approved list for warranty use.

Whether or not this makes it the most suitable for use is another story. The standard is to ensure that the correct friction modifiers are used to provide the correct amount of friction and to ensure that servos do not gum up.

http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

Grant

Never saw that link before! Good Link!
The guy at the parts store told me do not use the synthetic, it is for newer overdrive cars. To use only Dex3/Merc. So he was actually trying to sale me the cheaper stuff. But he also gave me the wrong parts a few times for my car...LOL

Or it could be two and one half dozen of the other... Could be Chrysler trying to make you buy the more expensive stuff.. in order for them to honor a warranty.. which being that your car is 41 years old I would say doesnt apply.. I agree with 73AbodEE .. If the color is right, stick it in.. (I always thought of tranny fluid as more of a red though LMAO)

Or it could be two and one half dozen of the other... Could be Chrysler trying to make you buy the more expensive stuff.. in order for them to honor a warranty.. which being that your car is 41 years old I would say doesnt apply.. I agree with 73AbodEE .. If the color is right, stick it in.. (I always thought of tranny fluid as more of a red though LMAO)

lol , yes , in some cases hehe

ive even read that the atf4 is nothing more than a better cleaner version of the dex 3 . fluid technology has come light years since the 60s and 70s. i have been running full synthetics for years. my transmissions love it, and i run them pretty hard. i drive my duster everyday with an older 727 with atf4 plus type F in it.

but, to each his own LOL

i use atf +3 in my 727
but i got a deal at .75 a quart
so i bought 4 cases
its not full syn
works fine for me

Tony,
My recommendation to use type F was based on what I read in an old Direct Connection Performance manual. The book said it has a higher level of friction for firmer shifting.
Someone that I trust on a different forum had this to say:

Type F has a more aggresssive coefficient of friction, this makes for firmer shifting but at the expense of some lubricating properties; the idea of mixing in Dexron is to increase the lubricating properties. Some guys even throw in a quart or two of synthetic 10-30 engine oil to a load of type F for the same reason.

In reality, no harm will come from mixing types, Mopar even states that the newer ATF+4 is backwards compatible with all previously recommended fluids. (Dexron, 7176, +2, +3)

It kinda sounds like Dexron will be good enough to get all that slant 6 power to the ground.

-
Back