Trans go 2 shift kit

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
I had a Mechanic install my Transgo 2 shift kit last spring he is a top notch mechanic at a ford dealership.He is also a mopar nut has a 69 Dart rag he is slowing restoring.He also knows his way around the 727 witch I have.The thing is I thought after the install I would have a nice hard shift neck snapping but not its better than it was but not what I expected.So did he miss something.I could take a pic of whats left in the box and maybe you will see something he missed.My tranny is in good shape no slipping red oil.what think.

I've used the Trans Go kits in the past...."in the past"...didn't like them so I try NOT to use those. I like the Mopar Performance/B&M transfer plate shift kits - no drilling or modifications to the valve body. Bolts in..and has two levels of firmness....my old 91 Dakota Sport 4WD 318 bone stock would get second gear rubber! (stage 2)
Installed a Trans Go into my brothers 99 Dakota RT 360 2WD and it Wont chirp em at all!
my 2 cents

Transgo TF2 should have very firm shifts. Depending on your gears and engine anything from a bit of a chirp to 4 speed like tire squealing. I had one in a 904 behind a 318 with just dual exhaust and a 4BBL in it would squeal second gear at will. In a 73 charger with 2.71 gearing. There are different levels of firmness, was it set up with the street strip settings? What car is it in and what engine and gearing? Are you sure it was a TF-2 kit as the little transgo kit doesent do much for hard shifts.

Transgo TF2 should have very firm shifts. Depending on your gears and engine anything from a bit of a chirp to 4 speed like tire squealing. I had one in a 904 behind a 318 with just dual exhaust and a 4BBL in it would squeal second gear at will. In a 73 charger with 2.71 gearing. There are different levels of firmness, was it set up with the street strip settings? What car is it in and what engine and gearing? Are you sure it was a TF-2 kit as the little transgo kit doesent do much for hard shifts.

My engine is 360 340 j heads, mopar purple cam,ld340 intake headers 600 holley,323 gear, headers, in 69 Dart not sure how he set it up.It does get rubber in 2 gear but I was expecting a harder shift.The instruction sheet said TF2

From what I rememeber of my TF2 kit I had several springs left over. Some are for different applications/years. The plate and drill bits are used once.

Leaving the accumulator spring out can help with a firmer shift...as well as using Type F fluid.

From what I rememeber of my TF2 kit I had several springs left over. Some are for different applications/years. The plate and drill bits are used once.

Leaving the accumulator spring out can help with a firmer shift...as well as using Type F fluid.

OK in the pic there is a new spring and an old one he took out is that the accumulator spring.My old one.

I'm no expert on these. Could the line pressure be low?

I'm no expert on these. Could the line pressure be low?

No clue either but it does shift good and my kick down is adjusted right.I could be geting mix up a tad.I had a manual kit in my 727 in my old 74 roadrunner that shifted real hard loved it ,but always shifting up and down was busily.

Just removing the accumulator spring should have firmed it up. The rest of the kit should have made it even better. Did he rebuild the trany, or just add the kit? I would check the kickdown linkage, and also the band adjustments.
Something is definately not right Snake.

Just removing the accumulator spring should have firmed it up. The rest of the kit should have made it even better. Did he rebuild the trany, or just add the kit? I would check the kickdown linkage, and also the band adjustments.
Something is definately not right Snake.

Just the kit was installed,it will chirp the tires over 3 grand.Maybe just expecting more.

There is a line pressure setting for competition only, and you could turn it up some if you wanted. Getting rubber over 3 grand sounds about right. As others have said type F fluid helps too. You have to remember you started with one of the better if not the best shifting trans in stock form. Also make sure you kick down linkage is adjusted and goes all the way back at full throttle.

It sounds like it may be ok. You kind of made it sound weak in your first post.
Maybe now, you just need more engine:bootysha::toothy10:

The TF2 shift kit can be set up for different levels of shift firmness. If you leave the 1-2 ball out and don't drill the plate then you will get the firmest shift possible. If he left the ball in and drilled the plate you can adjust the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts depending on the size hole you drill in the transfer plate. Check out the instructions. Line pressure is also adjustable with the allen screw on the side of the VB. I would not recommend type F in any mopar trans. Either Dex/merc or the better type +4 as used in newer mopars. A couple threads are on here why. Either way its up to you. Read through the directions and ask the guy how he set it up. Best kit on the market in my opinion as you have the adjustability. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=110292&highlight=type

The TF2 shift kit can be set up for different levels of shift firmness. If you leave the 1-2 ball out and don't drill the plate then you will get the firmest shift possible. If he left the ball in and drilled the plate you can adjust the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts depending on the size hole you drill in the transfer plate. Check out the instructions. Line pressure is also adjustable with the allen screw on the side of the VB. I would not recommend type F in any mopar trans. Either Dex/merc or the better type +4 as used in newer mopars. A couple threads are on here why. Either way its up to you. Read through the directions and ask the guy how he set it up. Best kit on the market in my opinion as you have the adjustability. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=110292&highlight=type

Him and I kind of had a fallen out.Not over my tranny tho.

Oops. Well short of taking it apart yourself there really isn't any other way to know how he set it up. Its really not hard to take the VB apart yourself and even if you get lost there are plenty of folks on here to help you get it back together and the way you want. :-D

Like Johnny said the TF-2 kit is customizable so he may have set it up so it didn't shift real firm. In the instructions it gives a range of sizes to drill the feed holes for the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. If he left them stock or went with the smallest size in the range it won't shift super firm.

BTW: That big spring in the picture is not the accumulator spring. The accumulator spring is much smaller in diameter. Blocking it does make the 1-2 shift firmer.

One thing that drastically affects the shift quality is the throttle pressure adjustment (kickdown adjustment). Is it set to max at wide open throttle? If not try that and test drive it. It may possibly wind out too much before shifts set to wide open, then again it may not, depends on the governor. If it does wind out too much back off the adjustment a little at a time until you get it where you like it.

Also keep this in mind, a hard shift is not always the greatest shift because sometimes it's "hard" because there is some shift overlap. (Overlap is when the trans. is still in 1st gear momentarily while the front band applies for 2nd gear or on the 2-3 shift the front clutch pack applies before the front band has completely released). That's extremely detrimental to a trans. I've torn apart numerous transmissions that had one of the so called "hard" shifting kits in them only to find the kit shucked the clutches and bands.

.........Don, the quality of the shift is also dependent on the front band arm ratio and adjustment........blocking the acc also helps..........only on the 1-2 shift.........there is also other things that can be done to get ur tire chirping shifts that can only be learned by trial and error............kim...........

-
Back