Trans go clearances

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Well I got my Trans Go TF-2 kit installed and am setting the drum clearances. The numbers from Trans Go are .070-.125 for a five clutch direct drum and .012-.035 for the four clutch foreward drum.
I have .073 on the direct and .023 on the foreward. There in their spec but does the rear drum seem tight at .023? Everything I've read says to set it at
.035 or looser.
Thanks for any help you can give me. Bob

A general rule of thumb I go by that always works fine is .010"-.015" per clutch plate so a 4 clutch drum would be between .040 and .060 and a 5 clutch drum between .050 and .075". The rear clutch can be a little tighter since it's engaged in all forward gears. Only problem is if you get it too tight the car will want to creep in neutral. I prefer .035 minimum so there's no chance it'll creep. I think .023 will be too tight. .073 on the other drum is fine.

BTW: Are you measuring the clearances with dry plates or have they already been soaked in ATF?

I did soak the clutches before measuring them. The direct drum is a four clutch drum with five clutches in it. I had a .216 pressure plate step cut for the clearance.
The rear drum is a three clutch unit and it has four clutches in it. I had a .216 plate step cut also, but it only has .132 left under the .061 snap ring. The reaction plate is .125 thick, so it looks to be tuff to get another .017 of clearance in this setup. How thin can I have them milled before I run into warping problems? That was my thought's on step cuting the pressure plates.
Thanks for your help Fishy

I did soak the clutches before measuring them. The direct drum is a four clutch drum with five clutches in it. I had a .216 pressure plate step cut for the clearance.
The rear drum is a three clutch unit and it has four clutches in it. I had a .216 plate step cut also, but it only has .132 left under the .061 snap ring. The reaction plate is .125 thick, so it looks to be tuff to get another .017 of clearance in this setup. How thin can I have them milled before I run into warping problems? That was my thought's on step cuting the pressure plates.
Thanks for your help Fishy

Soaking them will take up some clearance but I don't know how much. If I had a guess I'd say it'd be close to .017". Sorry I haven't tried cutting down the pressure plate so I don't know how thin you can get away with but your numbers sound pretty thin now IMO. My suggestion is to contact Chris Andrews and see what he thinks. He knows a lot more about those mods than me and I'm sure he could answer it right off the top of his head. I think his screen handle is duster346. Try searching for that and send him a pm with your question and I think you'll find what your looking for.

-
Back