Trans issue on the Gussler Van?

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After a hundred miles or so on the Van with a 904 swapped in, I have noticed a chatter in it on pulling away from a stop. Once I get moving the chatter stops. It's almost like on a manual chatter when you let the clutch out . The dash and steering column rattle and shake a little bit. I swapped in a 904 that I had laying around in the garage for a couple years that worked fine in a little rat rod I had it in. The van has 2.94 rear gears. I used the stock mount from an A body ( rubber mount in the cross member) hanging from some steel angle to support the rear of trans, seems pretty solid. Just wondering if this is a sign of something in the trans slipping ? Band needs adjustment or clutches getting bad or what. Any TRANS GURU'S help out there would be appreciated
20180629_171459.jpeg

Does it do it in manual low as well?
How about second gear at very low rpm?

The trans mount is operating in compression right? With the rubber underneath the trans, and then the cross-member. Are the engine brackets bolted onto the engine in the usual place?
Also check your rear springs for broken leafs, your U-joints for dryness, the slip-joint for adequate clearance into the trans,and the U-bolt torque.
And finally, make sure the idle air blades are clear and not causing a rough engine operation, in the low-speed circuit.

Last edited:
Just give up on it. Slap it in a trailer and bring it to me. It's doomed. I will give it a new home.

Does it do it in manual low as well?
How about second gear at very low rpm?

The trans mount is operating in compression right? With the rubber underneath the trans, and then the cross-member. Are the engine brackets bolted onto the engine in the usual place?
Also check your rear springs for broken leafs, your U-joints for dryness, the slip-joint for adequate clearance into the trans,and the U-bolt torque.
And finally, make sure the idle air blades are clear and not causing a rough engine operation, in the low-speed circuit.
All good on all that but I don't know what you mean on the idle air part.

And if it does it in drive-low, but not in manual low then it could be the overrunning clutch.
But if it also does it in second at very low rpm, then it could be the forward clutch instead.
And if the pinion is cranking up because of say a broken spring, well then all the things in that paragraph could be causing it.
And if the engine ain't running right............. well you could be chasing your tail
But I can tell you that it probably is NOT in the L/R band, NOR in the hi-drum, because you didn't mention it doing this in reverse.
And Kim's query still stands; if the pump is sucking air all kinds of strange things can happen.

-
Back