trans rebuild

-

75ddart

Reaction score
Picked up a 727 and never went through one, so my questions who here has done one and any special tools needed or if so anything that can be used in place of the special tools. Been a mechanic for several years but never got into trans rebuilds, any help, experiences would be great. Sorry if this has bee reposted before, I just don't want to mess up. Hve a kit on the way, not sure if I want to tackle this myself or pass it on to someone who has done it locally. Thanks in advance !

There is a great series of vids on YouTube on the rebuild of the 727. I'm at work and don't have access to YouTube to post a link but shouldn't be too hard to find.

I think snap ring pliers and a puller are generally needed and one other special tool that I cant think of right now

There is a great series of vids on YouTube on the rebuild of the 727. I'm at work and don't have access to YouTube to post a link but shouldn't be too hard to find.

I think snap ring pliers and a puller are generally needed and one other special tool that I cant think of right now

Thanks, will search it out. I do have both tools you mentioned but I think I think I remember something about a tool to press the front drum or something to replace the clutch pack or something like that. I've heard of guys using vise grips to compress the drum to release a big snap ring, but not sure I want to go that route if I don't have to.

You can use C clamps to compress that front drum if you don't have an arbor press. I rebuilt the 727 for my GTS restoration. There's some info in the build thread at the bottom of my response.

You can use C clamps to compress that front drum if you don't have an arbor press. I rebuilt the 727 for my GTS restoration. There's some info in the build thread at the bottom of my response.

x2 on the arbour press, if you don't have access to a proper bushing driver set. I've seen more than one converter hub destroyed because the front pump bushing wasn't installed correctly. Same holds true for all bushings. They must be in straight.

Internal snap ring pliers, AND the type with the little round ends (slightly tough ones)

I never in my life thought I could rebuild transmission but rebuilt mine last year and it wasn't that bad. Quite rewarding actually. I bought the torqueflite book used off amazon and studied it pretty thoroughly before even cracking open the transmission. I of course checked online, videos, forums, etc. and had a pretty good idea what I was getting in to. The best thing I did was to reach out to a member on this forum for advise. Through emails and pm's he helped me whenever I got stuck and was a world of great advise through the process. I did it with basic tools and was able to borrow the bushing driver kit and a few others from the local AutoZone. Made a few mistakes along they way, nothing that couldn't be fixed, but overall, I never felt like I was in too deep with it.

Thanks a bunch for all the helpful hints. I have all the tools need except for the arbor press. Guess when I get to that part I can rent one or get a local shop to do that if need be. Still waiting on the kit to arrive before I tear into this thing, no hurry so will take my time to study up on this project. First step is getting the case cleaned up before disassembly then press on from there.

-
Back