Transmission cooler lines

-

Brown8404

Reaction score
Howdy gents,

I have an issue that I am not sure what to do for.
I had to replace the transmission cooler lines, I bought the replacements from Classic Industries and now that I have them mostly installed it does not line up. I have attached pictures to help me explain.

I do not know if the radiator is stock I am leaning towards no, but the model number that is on the radiator is 33497

My vehicle is a
1974 duster with the 225 slant 6.
The first picture is from the rear it is the return line. It does line up with some help.
The second picture is how the lines route from above.
the third picture is how the lines line up to the radiator
The fourth picture is from underneath. With the lighting you can kind of see the where the return line is supposed to go. I have only had my duster since October and I would like to get it on the road by the 21st. but we will see.

So I guess my questions are

1. did i line things up wrong?
2. is my radiator not the right one?
3. should I just go out and buy a flexible line?

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Attachments

• Rear return line.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Cooler lines from above.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Cooler line up.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 194
  • attachment point.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 219
looks like it may need just a little massaging
doesn't look too bad (though I don't see the nipple for the one line in the last picture, did that come stay on the old lines, or is it really that far off?)

Remember that you can twist the lines along their axis without accidentally crimping them. However....if you try and bend the lines they can get pinched off!!

treblig

yea, I ordered a set of trans cooler lines from good ole Classic for a 65 dart. I got one line on with a reasonable amount of tweaking. the other line on one end was bent 180 degrees off. NO I didn't try to twist it that much. I call them they said send both back and I get a refund. I told them I will just keep one of their new lines and one of my old ones. SINCE they cannot tell me squat about what they have!!! and that was their total solution.

I asked bout slant cooler lines on slantsix.org. a nice member sent me a pic showing the correct route on the early A body, with the lines going right beside the oil pan, NOT making that big turn around exh pipes> not sure what is OEM for the duster.......

you would think as many slant A bodies out there one of the 4 line bending co. would have the correct lines!?????????????? I guess for $40 a set, they have no interest!??? ha

This is the radiator that I have. The return line is on the right of the picture, but the line itself only makes it to the mid line of the radiator. I will try to twist on its axis. when I get home I had to go to work.

Thanks

Attachments

• Radiator.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 158
This is the headache I avoided by buying straight line at the auto store and running them straight along the inside drivers frame rail, out the front holes and straight to a large cooler. +1 recommended. No bulls***.

This is the headache I avoided by buying straight line at the auto store and running them straight along the inside drivers frame rail, out the front holes and straight to a large cooler. +1 recommended. No bulls***.

This. The line is dirt cheap. We sell it where I work. You can bend it yourself with minimal effort, just gotta watch for pinching. Or you can take your old line in to some of the places around here and they will make it up exact for you.

The joys of having an old car.

The easiest way to measure the overall length of the trans line is to get a long piece of Romex (electrical wire). It's cheap and bends easily. You bend it and shape it until it fits from the radiator to the trans fitting, then you straighten it out and you have the exact length that you need!!
I keep many pieces of Romex hanging on the wall for all trans shift cables, brake lines, trans lines or anything that requires bends or shapes. If you can't bend it and shape it and then be able to straighten it out there's no way t determine the exact length.

treblig

-
Back