transmission cooler

-

bamamopar

Reaction score
Ok Im installing my trans cooler now and I was wondering which was better. To run trans cooler straight to the lines or run it thru the radiator? Thanks Mark

You'll get all sorts of opinions, some are afraid that the cooler in the radiator will fail and leak into the cooling system, other don't worry.

I run mine into the radiator, out to the cooler and back to the trans. Works good for me.

Follow the line from the front of the transmission to the radiator - that's the feed line. You'd connect the aux. cooler to the other fitting which is the return.

Here's how the factory did it:

Attachments

• auxcooler.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 219
..isn't the little tube in the lower rad tank a heater for cold weather?
..most say your trans fluid temp should be 170 - 190, i'm no expert.

..isn't the little tube in the lower rad tank a heater for cold weather?
..most say your trans fluid temp should be 170 - 190, i'm no expert.

Tube in the lower rad tank is the factory transmission cooler. Auxilary or external coolers are add on options in most cases, although depending on the use of the vehicle might come as standard equipment. Trailer towing or HD use would come to mind.Temp should be in the 170-190 range.

I was told to run it through the radiator like your doing also told that the radiator will warm the tranny fluid and that is supposed to be good. and from what I've read nothing over 190 as the fluid will break down, I have an autometer gauge on mine.
and I am running Castrol synthetic ATF-4.

I too use an Autometer and it reads 160 to 180 without a trans cooler and that's with a dynamic 727 race trans using an aluminum deep sump pan. Granted the weather may be different here, not as cold in the winter, yet the summer months are hotter than hell.. Sometimes 110+

I've considered a trans cooler but as you can see, have little to no room in the bay and the Griffen radiator hasn't a cooler. Any suggestions?

i have a dynamic 9 1/2 converter and just use a small external cooler.
..haven't seen my trans fluid over 160 and i don't think that's good.

I don't know what temps it's getting to. I'm doing it as a preventive action. It gets hot in the south in the summers.

absolutly run one in your neck of the woods.you are correct in wanting extra protection

I always used the local temps as to which way it goes, and this may make sense to you.
In hot climates I run the cooler before the radiator as it helps with the engine cooling a little also, and in cooler climates after the radiator because the engine doesn't need the help cooling.

The idea of not running it to the radiator at all is not because people are afraid they will get trans fluid in the coolant, it's because it would get coolant in the trans.
Antifreeze coolant and water both will disolve the adhesive holding the clutch materials on the discs and bands and pretty much instantly destroy the trans.
(Long before you noticed anything was wrong)

-
Back