Transmission Fluid

-

LO23M8B

Reaction score
What brand and type of transmission fluid are you guys running.

I'm not running an automatic but if I was and if I ever do, it'll be whatever the lowest Dexron is available, probably Dexron 3. With a proper transmission cooler(s) there's no need in wasting money on anything else.

I ran type F for years in my 727’s and powerglides. For some reason it was hard to get around here so I switched to Dextron 3. A few years ago I had a band issue caused by a leak and Dextron 3 to me had a burnt smell right out of the bottle so I switched back to type F.

Used to run regular dextron 3. However, after I started to run a higher stall converter I switched to royal purple full synthetic. Just to have piece of mind.

Nothing but Warren/Coastal brand Dexron wherever it’s the cheapest. Parts store, Family/Dollar General, bargain stores etc.

I've been using Lucas atf of the past few years. It's like $85 from summit for a 5 gal bucket. I've been happy with it.

I opt for the cheapest type F I can find. I ran Dex/merc for a while and felt no difference in the shift characteristics. Either works fine for me.

Type F in my 904s

2AC5878E-42DF-43D1-811E-0FFE357D6F2C.jpeg

The three speed Torqueflites will run on literally just about anything. From motor oil to hydraulic tractor fluid. They ain't picky. I just roll my eyes at some of the stuff people latch on to. But hey, to each their own.

Proper fluid level, clean filter, properly adjusted and not overly abused/overheated. All one has to be concerned with. Fluid schmooid. :rolleyes:
There was an article years ago on Allpar that talked about a Sheriff's Dept in California somewhere that bought new......I THINK it was 63 model Plymouths with the understanding that the same fluid used in the engine could also be used in the transmission. Chrysler put their stamp of approval for 30 weight engine oil for the transmission and the deal was struck. They never had issues. .......and I have looked and looked and LOOKED for that article and now I cannot find it. I believe it was a casualty of the Allpar web site redesign. They lost a lot of good stuff.

The three speed Torqueflites will run on literally just about anything. From motor oil to hydraulic tractor fluid. They ain't picky. I just roll my eyes at some of the stuff people latch on to. But hey, to each their own.

I recently opened up a 1967 torqueflite core, remnants of a amber colored fluid. Looked good, nice condition, thinking some kind of hydraulic fluid.

-
Back