Transmission for push-button Barracuda

-

columbusjack

Reaction score
I have the shell of a push-button 64 Barracuda, no engine, no transmission. I have a 318 engine which I would like to put in it. I have heard that I need a 904LA transmission to match the engine. I don't know if that is correct. I also don't know whether that transmission - or any other suitable - would also function with the push buttons. I have only just begun to learn about such things, so please understand my ignorance. Guidance, please!

I have the shell of a push-button 64 Barracuda, no engine, no transmission. I have a 318 engine which I would like to put in it. I have heard that I need a 904LA transmission to match the engine. I don't know if that is correct. I also don't know whether that transmission - or any other suitable - would also function with the push buttons. I have only just begun to learn about such things, so please understand my ignorance. Guidance, please!

Good morning

What year 318 are you working with?

If you want to stay with the pushbutton, you'll need a V8 A904 ... they differ from the /6 case due to the starter position lower down. Also. The A body tail shaft is shorter than others ( B body) You'll also need to determine if you want to stay with the ball and trunnion propeller (drive) shaft. Some have been modified.

Drop in some pictures of what you're working with. It'll help everyone understand better.

20221017_211434.jpg

20221016_200151.jpg

20220905_201051.jpg

20240424_074002.jpg

Unless you are just REALLY wanting to use the pushbuttons, get a later model 904 for a V8 and use it. You could easily use an aftermarket shifter to make it work. Finding a cable shift 904 is harder than it used to be, plus...you need one with a valve body from an actual push button car instead of one with either a column shift or floor shift. The cables constantly leak, and if they don't because they have new seals on the cables, they soon will be in my experience. The main things you will need besides a transmission to get the 318 installed, is early A V8 motor mounts, early A V8 exhaust manifolds, and an early A V8 center link.

Thanks for the responses!
The photographs make it very clear what you are telling me, and very clear that I need to provide some of mine to help you understand my circumstances.
I'm led to believe the 318 is a '65 model, but I need to clean it up to get to the numbers before I can be sure - and then I can take pictures. I neglected to add to my first post that the shell is/was a slant 6, so I'm anticipating different locations for engine mounts.
I was dubious about the push-buttons myself, despite having an injection of wise old-timer suggestion, because they seem such an anachronism; my preference is a floor shift and an automatic transmission. Obviously, some drivers would prefer manual shift, but I am among those who don't want that much work while driving.
Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated.

The good news is, that the K frame in Early A bodies such as the 64-66 Barracudas are the same no matter if the car came with a 6 cylinder or V8. You just need some Early A V8 motor mount brackets and insulators. The steering center link on V8 cars had a drop down in it so it would clear the oil pan. Center links in 6 cylinder cars were more flat. If you prefer a automatic floor shifter with the factory look, you could source one from a 66 A body. Otherwise, an aftermarket automatic shifter like a B&M or Hurst would work just fine. The hole left in the dash where you would remove the push button mechanism would be a great place to mount a few gauges in a fabbed up bezel.

:thumbsup:

neglected to add to my first post that the shell is/was a slant 6,

Engine mount location/ K- frame is the same.64 and 65 models. You'll need to ensure the motor has the brackets.

You will need the V8 Centerlink as mentioned. It has a greater drop to accommodate the oil pan. V8 Torsion bars would be good. They are slightly thicker than the slant 6.

Radiator is different. Double check your inlet and outlet needs. (Center, left, right)

Early A exhaust Manifolds are unique as well.

I like that you're saving the pushbutton. Good luck

20240229_140048.jpg

20240303_153822.jpg

20240229_140100.jpg

20240303_152739.jpg

I seem to recall in 64 they had a plastic dash bezel that would cover the hole in the dash for the push button assy. A 66-auto steering column would give you a modern shift linkage for an automatic, A 64 pushbutton column would suffice for a floor shift. If you stay with the push button, be aware that 65 transmission is set up as a column shift by cable.

Thanks for all the information, gentlemen!
Attached are images of the back end of my 318, obviously just arrived and not cleaned up. The block number is 2468320, which seems to make it a 318A small block from '64 - '66 with 1.84/1.56 valves. The mating transmission was manual.
Taking heed of your caveats vis-a-vis the push-button cables, etc., I'm now much more inclined to go for a floor shift automatic, with presumably a 904LA. I'm obviously going to need a starter motor as well.

318 02.JPG

318 03.JPG

318 04.JPG

318 05.JPG

318 06.JPG

Somebody has to tell you, so it may as well be me. :( That is what's known as a 318 Poly motor and it will not fit in your 64 Barracuda, because it is too wide. The 318 Poly motors only came in B & C body cars, and also pickup trucks. They never came in Early A body cars like your 64 Barracuda. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You need a 318 that came in later years like the early 70's to mid 80's.

Chrysler introduced the 273 engine in mid-64 production. That 273 motor was specifically designed to fit in the early A- bodies. It's an LA or Light A motor. The LA 318 later replaced the 273, yet maintained the same overall dimensions. A 1971 318 would fit... you would have to perhaps adjust the type of water pump and exhaust manifolds depending on what it came out of.

More here

318 Poly in an Early A Body?

Last edited:
-
Back