Transmission gear rebuild

-

dodgedifferent2

Reaction score
Here is something i have never run into before so looking for information.

I have a transmission that i forgot to add trans fluid into the trans and drove for a bunch of miles.
Now the gear welded to the mainshaft. So i cut the mainshaft and bored it out.
I have another mainshaft.

Now here is where it gets interesting.

Could i take that gear and buildup the inner hole with 7018 welding rod then remachine to the correct diameter ?

I have all the tooling and a machine shop. I have just never ran into this issue before.

I would not do that on a bet.

Tell you what.........Are you an excellent welder and machinist? Do you for example, possess the skills to weld a cam/ crank and regrind them? If so "go ahead." You might need to re-harden the gear teeth

The first rearend I narrowed, I forced pipe over the cut axle ends and welded it up...never broke under my 4k burns 360+ 4 speed.

welding gears is a specialized procedure with specialized equipment to be done correctly ,,, but if you want to fix what you have I would simply bore the gear and sweat in a bronze bushing and finish the I.D. to the proper dimension then you have no worries about softening the gear ,, best bet is to buy a new gear they can't be that expensive or find a parts tranny.

-
Back