Reaction score
Another round of "Name that Tranny!"

Left Side of oil pan rail: 2538331W
IMG_20120707_184840.jpg

Right side of rail: 2o 79901
tranrightnumber.jpg

Ok, maybe I answered my own question?

1966 dodge 255/318 904 Police/Taxi?

If this is correct will this bolt to a '74 318 LA?

It cannot be a "225/318" transmission. It is one or the other. The bellhousing bolt patterns are all different between slants, small blocks and big blocks.

It cannot be a "225/318" transmission. It is one or the other. The bellhousing bolt patterns are all different between slants, small blocks and big blocks.

Matched the left side number on this list.

[ame]http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf[/ame]

1966 B- and C-body with 318 or with 225 (police/taxi) is correct. This transmission has the A/LA V8 bellhousing. When used behind the 225, an adaptor package was used consisting of a bellhousing adaptor plate and a crankshaft to flexplate spacer (to account for the thickness of the bellhousing adaptor plate). The starter was in the low-mount (V8) location, bolted directly to the bellhousing -- the adaptor plate is cut out in this location to clear the starter. This same setup was used in all heavy-duty slant-6 automatic applications (police/taxi cars plus trucks and vans) until the 1968 advent of the A727RG transmission with the \6 bellhousing pattern.

This trans will work behind a '74 small block, but you must install the 1/8" annular spacer ring to fill the space between the '66-down small torque converter nose and the '67-up large crankshaft counterbore. You can get it from Pat "Torqueflite Patty" Blais, among other sources.

1966 B- and C-body with 318 or with 225 (police/taxi) is correct. This transmission has the A/LA V8 bellhousing. When used behind the 225, an adaptor package was used consisting of a bellhousing adaptor plate and a crankshaft to flexplate spacer (to account for the thickness of the bellhousing adaptor plate). The starter was in the low-mount (V8) location, bolted directly to the bellhousing -- the adaptor plate is cut out in this location to clear the starter. This same setup was used in all heavy-duty slant-6 automatic applications (police/taxi cars plus trucks and vans) until the 1968 advent of the A727RG transmission with the \6 bellhousing pattern.

This trans will work behind a '74 small block, but you must install the 1/8" annular spacer ring to fill the space between the '66-down small torque converter nose and the '67-up large crankshaft counterbore. You can get it from Pat "Torqueflite Patty" Blais, among other sources.

Thank you Dan for the Great info!

Dan, I don't think that info is correct, not sure, though.
The Trans you are thinking of, for use with the adapter was a 727, not a 904. That spacer/adapter ring will not work with a 904, the pilot is smaller then the 727.

The pilot on the 727 converter is the same size as the late (68 up) 904.
A 727RG trans will not fit a 67 older slant six, the converter pilot is too large.
A 727 for a small block will only fit a slant six with the adapter plate and crank adapter (67 down) and adding the annular bushing (68 up).
If I am wrong please correct me.

Edit: It was the original poster that mentioned the 904. This trans must be a 727LA. This trans will work behind the 74 small block without the annular crank bushing.

Dan, I don't think that info is correct, not sure, though.
The Trans you are thinking of, for use with the adapter was a 727, not a 904. That spacer/adapter ring will not work with a 904, the pilot is smaller then the 727.

A 727RG trans will not fit a 67 older slant six, the converter pilot is too large.
A 727 for a small block will only fit a slant six with the adapter plate and crank adapter (67 down) and adding the annular bushing (68 up).
If I am wrong please correct me.

Edit: It was the original poster that mentioned the 904. This trans must be a 727LA. This trans will work behind the 74 small block without the annular crank bushing.

It was me that said 904. Not to familiar with trans. Going by the shape of the pan. So I'm looking at a 727LA? Those were made in '66 or is that not the right date?

Dan, I don't think that info is correct

The 1966 factory parts catalog (final edition) is the source of my info.

The Trans you are thinking of, for use with the adapter was a 727, not a 904.

Yes. And the transmission in this discussion (2538 331) is in fact a 727.

That spacer/adapter ring will not work with a 904

This thread doesn't involve a 904 (and I can't think of a reason why the spacer/adaptor wouldn't work to put a '68-up 904LA behind a slant-6, can you?)

Oh yeah, I always forget that detail -- you're right, it was only the pre-'68 904 that had the 1.55" torque converter pilot diameter; all the 727s and the '68-up 904 have 1.8" pilot diameter.

A 727RG trans will not fit a 67 older slant six

Right, but nobody's talking about trying.

Edit: It was the original poster that mentioned the 904. This trans must be a 727LA.

Yes, as I was saying…!
redbeard.gif

This trans will work behind the 74 small block without the annular crank bushing.

Yep -- now we're all on the same page.

-
Back