Transmission Indicator on column

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
I know, not really a transmission item, but close. on my 66 dddddddart with the 3 speed automatic, column shift.

You know the little Gear indicator - P R N D 1 2. Ok so I opened up the steering wheel area, replaced the little indicator light, has a blue cap on it, cleaned the plastic indicator piece.

Light is barely enough to illuminate the gear indicator window, but it will do. However the little metal POINTER that moves as you shift the gear it hard to see and all the paint has come off. So is there a glow in the dark paint or flourescent paint that I can dab on the little pointer so I can tell what gear I am trying to get to (at night)?

I would go to a nail salon to ask that question
I bet they got something that will work...and since its nailpolish it will come with a brush build into the cap

I would go to a nail salon to ask that question
I bet they got something that will work...and since its nailpolish it will come with a brush build into the cap

You know that is actually a really good option. I know my daughter has some Glow in the Dark nail polish. Im pretty sure we bought it at Target, but I bet you can get it at any store.

Ok update: I ransacked my daughters nailpolish supply and for a green, glow in the dark polish, with hints of green sparkles. Painted it on the indicator pointer, waited till it got dark, and tried it out. Fail. Not glowing, no help. Any other ideas? What about that glow tape people (spike tape) use on stages to mark out spots. Or?

usually you need to "charge" this glow in the dark stuff - hold a light up to it for a few seconds and then test it.. semi-related - like the doo-rag I have that has lightening bolts on it, glows much better after a "charge"..

ok update: I ransacked my daughters nailpolish supply and for a green, glow in the dark polish, with hints of green sparkles. Painted it on the indicator pointer, waited till it got dark, and tried it out. Fail. Not glowing, no help. Any other ideas? What about that glow tape people (spike tape) use on stages to mark out spots. Or?

x2

Just a short update. The glow in the dark paint did not help the situation. However I did open it and remove the blue cover, and now I got lots of light illuminating the P R D 1 2 read out. It is great. That blue thing was not letting much light through.

Doesn't glow in the dark , but I used red/orange model paint. Same for all the gauge pointers

Last edited:
just FYI - I actually saw glow in the dark rattle can paint at HD the other day... it's out there! ~crazy, I instantly though of this thread...

-
Back