transmission kickdown

-

armyreaper62

Reaction score
ok im working on the automatic transmission now...and the car drives and shifts ok from 1 to 2nd...and it down shifts back into first just fine...but it wont up shift past second gear...any ideas? before i had the kickdown cable on it the car did the same thing...so im not sure if its working right...should the cable pull the lever 2 the frount of the car or 2 the rear...ive looked in a book and it reads like it should pull it 2 the frount of the car...but its still not shifting right...and im not sure if i have it going the right way...any info would help....o and when im driving it some times it it feels like its trying 2 change gears but doesnt....but most the time the engine sounds like its going 2 blow up cuz its spinning free...like if i put it in (N) and stomped the gas...

In the idle position the lever should be to the front. When you press the gas to the floor it pushes the lever back. If it's stuck back that could cause no 3rd gear. If you have no 3rd gear even with the kickdown unhooked and the lever forward you definitely have a problem internally. Does reverse work fine? I ask because the forward clutch assy. is for 3rd gear and reverse and if it doesn't have both 3rd and reverse it's a problem there. If you have everything but 3rd gear it's probably a problem in the valve body. To determine that for sure you need to drop the valve body and air pressure test all the clutches and band servo's which can easily be done with low pressure air. If everything there checks ok you need to disassemble the valve body and figure out what's wrong there.

BTW: has it had a shift kit installed lately?

-
Back