Transmission Question HELP PLEASE!!!

-

PaDomino

Reaction score
72 340 Duster. It is a four speed and I want to change it to 727 Automatic. What trouble will I have? What do I need to look out for? Will it work?

You can do it. But there are all kinds of things you need to change. Flywheel comes out and is replaced with a torque converter. You will need a radiator with trans lines. You need to know if your engine is balanced internally or externally. The drive shaft will be different. The rear trans mount. I was thinking I would like to make mine a 4spd LOL.

flex plate, shifter, driveshaft, lines, radiator, or external cooler. kickdown if not manual. $800 or so, plus the trans and converter. Mount will work, just did the swap.

Thank you! I have been going back and forth on this. wanst sure what I would all get into. Thought it would be a little bit of a job.

There were far more automatics than 4-speeds. Find an automatic car, and swap everything that isn't the same. Shouldn't be too hard to find a parts car or even somebody wanting to do the opposite swap. In fact, you may actually be able to pull this off without spending much money. 4-speed parts are getting a little spendy these days.

At a minimum, you'll need transmission, converter, flex plate, cooler lines, cooler (in radiator and/or external), shifter and kickdown linkage. To make it look factory, you'll need to swap pedal assemblies, remove the hump on your floor, and change steering columns.

-
Back