Transmissions and questions about em.....

-

dewsky

1975 Duster 360
Reaction score
Ok guys.....a few questions....

If the 518 Transmission is a 727 with a lockup torque converter and an overdrive unit, how come it seems to have so many problems? Wouldn't it be just as good to put an overdrive unit on the BACK of a 727 and eliminate the problems?

I've heard that folks are swapping their 727's for 518's and was wondering if they were experiencing the same problems that the stock units seem to have.

Maybe I should post this on the truck site......Hmmmm

Ok guys.....a few questions....

If the 518 Transmission is a 727 with a lockup torque converter and an overdrive unit, how come it seems to have so many problems? Wouldn't it be just as good to put an overdrive unit on the BACK of a 727 and eliminate the problems?

I've heard that folks are swapping their 727's for 518's and was wondering if they were experiencing the same problems that the stock units seem to have.

Maybe I should post this on the truck site......Hmmmm

Most of the problems (on the early A518 and A500 OD Trannys) were related to the overdrive. Can't put the OD tailshaft on the early tranny because there are oil passages in the case to provide pressure to the OD unit that the early trannys don't have.

Larry

Yeah, the overdrive section of that trans is junk--and expensive. WHEN it goes--not if--it takes the rest of it with it.

Ok....So, what about doing the opposite....could you take a 727 with an aftermarket O/Drive, and put it in a newer vehicle? Would that old 727 of mine make my 2001 Ram about bullet proof then? I know this is the "car" side, but do you think it could be done, or has anyone done it yet?

You could, and you can make a 727 extremely strong, then the week ling is the O drive unit. I think that is a good way to go, may cost more and mounting is the issue.

As long as you use the OD for what it was designed for which is low RPM cruising on the highway and don't try to put hi HP thru it then it works fine. Mine is a stock OD unit on a built A518 and it handles the 435 HP and 495 FtLb Torque of my stroker with no problems. BUT, I only use it on the open road, not around town... As for putting a 727 in a 2001 Ram? You are going to have ECM problems since your tranny is electronically controlled. Plus there isn't a suitable VSS that will interface with the 727 and the ECM. A lot of problems unless you totally ditch the computer control system.

They had some problems the first year or two they were made but I heard they got that straightened up. My experience with a A518 was great. I bought a brand new 93 Dakota Sport with no options except the 318 mag eng. A518 and A/C, tilt and cruise. Did some bolt on mods on it right away and got it down to running consistent 14.40's. That might not sound so fast but considering with me and a half a tank of gas the weight was 3880 and only 318 cubic inches with full exhaust. I owned it for 13 yrs. and put 90,000+ miles on it and ran it down the 1/4 at least 1,000 times. In between it served as a parts runner, junk hauler, car trailer puller, etc. When it hit 90,000 miles I found a great deal on a 02 so I sold the old Dak to a guy that used it to pull a stump grinder and waste wagon. It was still working good at 130,000 miles when the front U-joint snapped and bound up and broke the case. Seemed like a pretty strong tranny to me.

BTW: all I ever did to it when I owned it was change the fluid at 40,000 mi. and install a Trans-Go kit.

I have also known several people that have them and they lasted fine for a long time. You gotta remember some people aren't car savvy. For instance a guy brought me his Dodge Ram last year thinking his tranny needed rebuilt cause it slipped. I checked the fluid then added 4 qts. until it was full and it worked great again. Still going today with over 150,000 mi. on it.

From what I've seen for every one bad 518 you find out there you can find 100 good ones. Maybe even more. JMHO

93/94 was when they went to a lockup with the 47rh - not a 518, different trans.

-
Back