Trash or Treasure? added pics....

-

landshark

Reaction score
I'm new to the board, but a life long mopar fan. I've come across a 72 Demon, w/ the original 340 and 4 spd intact. It's an A/C car. Then interior HAS to be replaced, rear quarters are shot (but thats to be expected around here) and the drivers floor pan is rotted. Can anyone shoot me a ballpark valuation on this thing?
I don't want to insult the guy, but don't want to play the part of the sucker either. Thanks!

Welcome to FABO shark! If you have pictures, that would help quite a bit (at least for me). Does it run? I am trying to get an idea on its mechanical condition.

First of all.....WELCOME TO FABO.

It would be hard to come up with a good estimate not know exactly what it looks like and what all it needs and if it runs and drives and how bad the rust is and where all the rust as at and if it is a numbers matching factory 340 car and also where you live plays a roll in price aswell.

I have seen non running junker abodys that were factory 340 cars selling for $4,000-$5,000-$6,000 and so on.

a good running and driving one that needed nothing and had been restored could easily sell from $15,000.00-$30,000.00 depending on the area it was being sold and how bad someone wanted to buy it or how bad someone needed money and had to sell it.

but if it needs a full restoration and is missing parts and does not run and drive ...I guess a "basic ball park" figure would be $4,000.00 maybe?

ill let some other people chime in and see what they think

also another big factor in pricing that would help alot is if you could get us the codes off the fender tag and someone here would gladly decode it for you!.

with demons only being produced for such a short period of time....a 340 car is a plus to begin with.....but if you pair that with a rare factory option or rare factory color or something than the value could jump up by a considerable amount and you may be hitting the jack pot if you can catch a good deal on it and the seller is not aware of the "rare option".

the motor is free, (and numbers matching) but its been in the weeds for quite some time. I'll see if I can get a pic or 2. Some poacher stole the fender tag, all I have is the VIN

the motor is free, (and numbers matching) but its been in the weeds for quite some time. I'll see if I can get a pic or 2. Some poacher stole the fender tag, all I have is the VIN

BIG BUMMER.

if you get lucky you may be able to reach under one of the seats and feel for a build sheet (that is if your lucky and that where they put it) the have put the build sheets in some pretty hidden spots on these cars before.

even if you could get the vin up on here someone can give you a "little" info on it......but a fender tag or build sheet would help considerably.

as would pictures

Don't be sorry. Thanks for posting the pics, it looks like a cool car. What is he asking for it? I'd say that despite the rust, it's very restorable and worthy of it IF it's a car you really like. 72 Demon 340's are unique.

OK, here's my opinion on value, assuming you can verify that it's a numbers matching engine and trans and that the 8 3/4 rear is still in it.
Low end $1500, High end $4500. A lot will depend on how rusty the underside is and if the #'s are there. Since the tag is missing, that will hurt value.
I think $2500 to $3000 would make me feel good about it if I were buying.

I would agree with ^gts340.
Low end value if the entire underside is cancer riden, the front frame rails, firewall, ect....$1200,1300,1400,1500ish...

If its just both full outer quarters, some lower rocker repair, and the car is numbers matching 72ish 340 block (and doesn't have a later model OD 4 speed in it), it appears to just be missing the driver rear quarter window....and might fetch as high as $4500.

Finding the magic number inbetween depends on what he is asking, what YOU are willing to pay and whatever else....

It looks like a good candidate for a enthusiastic new owner!

Good luck!

gts 340 seems like he's got a good handle on this, i'd agree with him on the price, but it would be really nice to know what the floors/ frame look like underneath, i'd say that's a pretty big factor. Good luck and welcome to FABO!!!

I agree with the prices that have been mentioned above.

As for the vin....this is what I can tell you.

Vehicle Identification Number: LM29H2B449183 Vehicle Model: Dart/Demon Vehicle Class: Medium Price Class (Demon 340) Vehicle Body Style: 2 Door Sports Hardtop/Special Edition Vehicle Engine: 340 CID/240 HP 4 BBL V8 Vehicle Year: 1972 Vehicle Assembly Plant: Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA Assembly Sequence Number: 449183
without a fender tag,that is the best I can tell you....hope that helps!

Sadly, i say you should never pick up a car like this for any more than you can part it out for unless you plan to keep it and enjoy it.
This comes from experience, i would not part out a 340 car like this unless it's completely rotten, and i mean BAD, this car should be restored.
It actually looks pretty good in the pics, and a good project with a lot of things going for it.
I guess 4 grand tops.
Just my 2 cents.
Tom.

Welcome aboard landshark! It's great to have you here.

Aside from the seat springs, you can also look for a broadcast sheet behind the glove box insert, under various interior body panels or the carpeting.

Hope that Demon is everything you ever wanted. :-D Keep us posted on your decision.

Thanks for all the great input. I'm feeling much more confident about it now, and will update as soon as I see what we can work out.
Glad to be part of such a great community!

Finally got ahold of the owner and he won't part with it for under 5K. No fender tag, no build sheet, and I'm looking for something to build as a street car w/ my sons, not a total resto.....am I crazy here, or should I pass?

if you got the cash and the time and the frame is good, go for it, and good luck with it:cheers:

Finally got ahold of the owner and he won't part with it for under 5K. No fender tag, no build sheet, and I'm looking for something to build as a street car w/ my sons, not a total resto.....am I crazy here, or should I pass?

Hello neighbor, I'm just a few mile north of Parsons. Your not crazy.

Poke around under the front and rear windshield moulding. In this part of the country it can be hiding a whole lot of rust through. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

I think there is still a Duster setting on the south end of Girard that might be for sale, looks in good shape. For something different there's a '65 Valiant near Altamont for sale. Buckets, console, slant 225, cheap.

Drop me a line sometime.

-
Back