Trick to getting intermediate shaft out of 340

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey folks,

What's the trick to getting the intermediate shaft out of a LA motor. I've got it loose of the cam gear, but can't lift the shaft out. I'm sure there's a trick! Thanks in advance!

Pat

Reverse the polarity on the starter and crank it over, the camshaft will shoot that puppy right out

:poke:

If the shaft has the crud buildup on it you will have to work it up and down to get that off of it, so it will pull all the way out.

If you take the oil pan off, then remove the oil pump and use a punch or long 1/4" drive extension and hammer to tap/push the shaft up from the bottom.... That's how I get the really stubborn ones....

Just start the engine and put the trans in reverse and it will pop right out.... :D
That seems a bit roundabout
If he can figure out how to start it without the distributor installed, I'm sure he can figure out how to get the shaft out

You guys are all nutz! LOL!

On a related note, the end that goes into the oil pump looks like it's rounded/stripped. No idea how old this piece is as it came with the car. That said, do these wear out over time?
20180721_124933.jpg

Thanks,
Pat

Last edited:
Got one out last week using a wood chisel. It was narrow enough to fit in the slot, and thick enough to catch when twisting. Twist clockwise as it comes up and out. In the past I've used a clothes hanger with hook to get under the gear and lift at the same time.

You guys are all nut! LOL!

On a related note, the end that goes into the oil pump looks like it's rounded/stripped. No idea how old this piece is as it came with the car. That said, do these wear out over time?
View attachment 1715201488
Thanks,
Pat

Not only will they roundoff but they will also snap off.
They sell hardened shafts that are supposed to overcome this small problem.
Oil pump too tight, high volume pump with thick oil, all these kinds of things can lead to rounding or snapping off.

my pleasure :)

looks like you got it out just in time
do you know how the oil pressure was before you pulled it?

You guys are all nutz! LOL!

View attachment 1715201488
Thanks,
Pat

I would recommend replacing that one with this one... It's stronger than the stock one, made to handle the extra load for a high volume oil pump and has a thicker shaft than the stock one... I use them in all my engines.... Heavy duty...

Mopar Oil Pump Driveshaft & Distributor Gear

You might want to check the pump, I have seen them spin and the top of the pump shaft will split. You might be able to see it with a small flash light, I have a pen light that works great for tight areas.

I see you have it out, a good tip is to spray under it good with PB blaster then work it up and down. It’s helps dissolve the varnish and buildup.

-
Back