trick to removing a pressed in stud?

-

67cuda360

Reaction score
I snapped a few pressed in bolts on the front hanger of my rear leaf springs on my barracuda when I was taking them out.

Just wondering if there is a trick to get what is left of the pressed in stud out of the hanger so that I can put some new hardware on it.

Is heat and a hammer the best way to go, or are there some other tricks :)

Good Luck finding replacement studs.

Good Luck finding replacement studs.
Shouldn't be a problem. I'm replacing them with the Hotchkis leafsprings and they come with new front hangers and the mounting hardware. So I'm planning on removing the pressed in studs and re-using the original front mounts so the car doesn't sit too low.

I've always used a hammer and punch for this job.
I used grade 8 bolts when I put my Duster back together. I also placed a 1/2" spacer block in front of the leaf hanger to center the rear wheel in the wheel well.
C

I've always used a hammer and punch for this job.
I used grade 8 bolts when I put my Duster back together. I also placed a 1/2" spacer block in front of the leaf hanger to center the rear wheel in the wheel well.
C

I just bought a Dart Sport, I couldn't figure out why there was a stack of washers behind the front leaf spring mount. Now I know why.
I why make a proper spacer when I install me new rear leafs.
Thanks

Hm, that's a good point, adding the spacer to center the wheel. I'll have a look if that would work with mine. I did manage to get the pressed in studs out. The BFH did most of the hard work lol. Just supported it and hammered away and out they came, a lot easier then I expected. :)

What type of spacer did you use, a full 1/2 inch block with the holes drilled out or 4 individual 1/2 spacers?

I just bought a Dart Sport, I couldn't figure out why there was a stack of washers behind the front leaf spring mount. Now I know why.
I why make a proper spacer when I install me new rear leafs.
Thanks

You might want to find out a little bit more about why the washers were there.
They don't put them in there just to arrange the wheel in the center of the wheel well.
Here's an example,
http://www.cdxetextbook.com/steersusp/wheelsTires/alignFund/thrustangles.html

TrailBeast makes a good point. I presume that these measurements and corrections are made at the alignment shop. There were no spacers in my car when disassembled, just bracket to frame, so spacing both sides equally back 1/2" shouldn't make any difference as far as starting point for the alignment.

If da4ad had an equal no. of washers on both right & left sides probably someone did a "red-neck" wheel centering trick to it.
I used blocks of 1/2" aluminum and drilled 4 holes in each.
For the op, were your wheels centered in the wheel house to begin with? On the Duster/Dart Sport they are very noticeably forward in there & that 1/2" centered them nicely. Another consideration is your drive shaft. Simply moving the rear axle back also slides your driveshaft back out of the tranny that same amount... I was having a new driveshaft made, so it was no concern or issue with me...
C

I would strongly recommend that if your gonna space them out then use a block with holes. I would also brace the back side where the nuts are using plates. there is a company that makes these plates for like $20. I just can't remember the name.

TrailBeast makes a good point. I presume that these measurements and corrections are made at the alignment shop. There were no spacers in my car when disassembled, just bracket to frame, so spacing both sides equally back 1/2" shouldn't make any difference as far as starting point for the alignment.

If da4ad had an equal no. of washers on both right & left sides probably someone did a "red-neck" wheel centering trick to it.
For the op, were your wheels centered in the wheel house to begin with? On the Duster/Dart Sport they are very noticeably forward in there & that 1/2" centered them nicely. Another consideration is your drive shaft. Simply moving the rear axle back also slides your driveshaft back out of the tranny that same amount... I was having a new driveshaft made, so it was no concern or issue with me...
C

My wheels looked pretty well centered, it could be moved back a little bit I'd say a 2 washer thickness would be the maximum I would move it. I think I'll leave it like it was for now and see how she sits with the new springs in place.

For the op, were your wheels centered in the wheel house to begin with? On the Duster/Dart Sport they are very noticeably forward in there & that 1/2" centered them nicely.

Good idea Cal. I am now gonna do this with my Dart and maybe Duster

They make a solid plate with slots in them so you don't have to take the bracket off, just loosen the bolts and slide the plates into place and retighten.

Yes moving both sides the same amount won't matter that much but changing the centerline thrust without close to exact measurments could change things for worse fast.
From what I have seen 99% of car owner never consider, or even know what centerline thrust is.

It can be Googled though.

I drilled holes in a 1/2" thick piece of aluminum stock to make my spacers.

-
Back