Trimless windshield rubber?

-

MomsDuster

Reaction score
Does anyone know if window seals for the Duster are available that eliminate the chrome/stainless trim?

I don't know if it will work on an A-body but my '84 pickup has a windshield gasket without the chrome insert. The insert in mine is plain black.

Go to your local windshield installer. They will have universal black rubber trim that will go in place of the metal trim. They buy in bulk, so they may cut you off a piece or two just to try.

I had my Barracuda front and back glass installed without the trim. Came out nice!!

treblig

In my case I've never liked the seal between the original rubber seal and the body. Too many Mopars have rusted badly around the lower glass channel (especially the rear lower "fastback" glass channel). I told the windshield guy to urethane the seal to the body then fill the trim slot with whichever rubber trim fit best. The guy urethaned the smaller rubber trim in place as well. Yes, I know, if I ever have to remove the glass I'll have to remove all the urethane to reinstall the glass. I've never had to replace a front or rear glass in my life so I really don't worry about replacing the glass. Besides....it's worth it to have NO rust around the glass channels!! I also removed all the rear trim pins as well because the pins are usually the first place that rust begins.

DSC03253.JPG
DSC03257.JPG
DSC03258.JPG
DSC03264.JPG
DSC03262.JPG

Treblig

I owned a '67 fastback Barracuda in the 70s and it had bad rust around the rear lower glass channel. My current Barracuda was totally rust free when I bought it and I want it to stay that way. I also like going trimless because it gives the 'Cuda that "drag car" look!!
The bonus is that I sold all the trim for a total of $450.00.......MT Sportsman S/R 29X15.0015LT tires are expensive!!!

DSC05460.JPG
DSC07626.JPG
DSC07624.JPG

Treblig

Along the same topic, has anyone used the adhesive stuff that's used on the 70-74 Barracudas/Challengers in place of the rubber seal. I think all the late model vehicles use the same stuff.

The cars from the 60 and early 70s (maybe later) had front and rear glass that is smaller than the opening in the car. Unless you weld in a strip of metal to make the opening smaller there's nothing to glue the glass to?? The rubber seal (gasket) lets the glass float in the opening (suspended by the rubber). There's one member on FABO who welded a 3/4" (more or less) strip of metal to the inside of the glass opening so he could install his windshield like all the newer cars. It's a great idea to completely stop corrosion around the glass!! I would have done that with my Barracuda but mine had great paint and a perfect body, I didn't want to modify it.

Treblig

You can the front and rear glass opening modifications here,page 55:

1967 Cuda FB project

"SNKEBIT" is doing a really nice job on his Barracuda. He's even cut his front glass to fit into the "chopped top" Cuda.

treblig

-
Back