Trouble Installing 18 spline A-833 through dual disc clutch assy.

-
A used 18 spline input would be better IF you had one.

The biggest issue I’ve had with multiple disc clutches (I hate them BTW but it’s not my car) is all the weight that is hanging on the line up tool.

Two discs is double the weight plus the other part adds weight too. To that end, the line up tool tends to sag down (highly technical term right there) and while the “socks on a rooster” fit of that plastic tool will allow it to come back out when it’s all bolted up, won’t let the much tighter tolerance input go back in.

And slinging that pig iron Hemi box isn’t fun doing it once. You start sticking that thing multiple times it starts sucking. Hard.

To that end, I try to preload the line up tool UP while I’m tightening the pressure plate bolts. You don’t need to force it up so hard you get a nose bleed. Just enough to overcome the sag.

I’ve fought this too and it’s the best way I’ve found to get the gear box in if you don’t have an OE input.
Heavy trucks all have two disc clutches. An old input shaft to align it all up. Holding the plastic alignment tool is good. On the trucks, I would get the bolts just starting to pull on the pressure plate. Then with the steel shaft I could tap it with a hammer a bit to center everything. Check by sliding the alignment tool in out and in. Tighten the bolts another turn each and try the alignment tool comes out easily. Continue around the pressure plate bolts until all are tight. Check the alignment tool slips in easily before and then again after torquing.
Ol2Stroker puts the cloth on the input shaft of his truck transmissions and gets the trans bolted up. It is a bit of a chore bolting up the pressure plate through the inspection and adjustment hole, and barring the engine over through a hole in the bottom of the flywheel housing, but it takes the fight out of getting the trans in place.

A used 18 spline input tool has been borrowed. I'm gonna try to find time to mess with it over the holiday weekend.

1719747152347.jpeg

I have to say that this was my very same problem with my car. I was going to put the transmission on the engine and then I would slide it in.
Well first off after a bunch of different way to do it I called the company McLeon for info on this. I tell you that they really helped me a bunch on this BUT it still will not go in. So finally they said to send it back. Well when they called me they were very good about this and told me that the fingers on the clutch were the wrong one. So now I'm finally going to get my trans on to the engine. NOT. No way. It was just as it was before. Now I getting torn up on this thing. So I told them that I m going to ship it back for look at it. Well they called and said that it was all perfect. So I put in and again and its the same. So I used 4 longer bolts that hold the trans in place and when it got to where it was tight I put in the bolts, and very carefully was able to actually draw the trans into place. At that point I had put in the engine and got it running. When I had for the first time I had pressed on the clutch pedal and it was like butter. It is still in there.
When I have thought about this and my thought are that it has to be in the part that they give you on this. When I have to remove this thing I will make a one out of a piece of wood.

Ted

When I have thought about this and my thought are that it has to be in the part that they give you on this. When I have to remove this thing I will make a one out of a piece of wood.

Ted
Are you referring to the plastic installation tool? I'm hoping that this is our problem also

-
Back